306 1998/S 1.4 fuel filter replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Swampie

306 1998/S 1.4 fuel filter replacement

Post by Swampie »

I've been wanting to change the fuel filter on our 306 but have been having some difficulty.

A while back I'd read up on the procedure in the Haynes manual and picked up a new fuel filter a while back from Halfrauds. The manual said to remove the crimped connectors put on by Peugeot and replace them with hose clips. The filter I have just has a pipe front and back where the hose pushes on and is then secured with a hose clip. Sounds okay so far.

However, after actually looking at my current fuel filter I've discovered that it has quick release style clips each end - ie. push 'buttons' on the side in, and it should then allow the connector to be pulled off the filter. I tried disconnecting the quick release clips, but couldn't get very far - just couldn't press both sides adequately with where it was at the time (it's partly dangling underneath, proper clip is missing, and held there by cable ties someone put there before we got the car - so I'll need to cut them to get good access).

This says to me that the filter must also have quick release connectors on the end and not the bare pipe the new filter has. I've no idea whether true Peugeot filters have these on them, or whether the connectors can be removed from the filter and swapped. any advice?

Finally, as it has fuel injection, the fuel line is pressurised with a pump in the tank. Do I need to depressurise the system before disconnecting the fuel filter? I do hear something like the pump depressurising/whirring a short while after getting out the car (or a long while if I just sit in the car after turning off the ignition - I guess opening the drivers door signifies that you're not going to restart the car for a while and hence should depressurise?).

I assume I need to do something to clamp off the hoses before I disconnect the filter? Would a hose clip each side of the filter suffice, or is there something more appropriate to use. I understand the issue with clamping the hose with flat faced claps as it can damage the hose.

Thanks for your help, the car has just passed 101,000 miles, and the fuel filter has not been replaced for over 43,000 miles/4.5 years, possibly longer - it really looks caked in stuff (almost like underseal!) and has a significant dent in it! Part of me thinks it's never been replaced - although it was Pug serviced up to 58k miles. Whatever the history - I want to get the filter replaced ASAP, it's well overdue!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

You might need the newer style of fuel filter with the clip on pipes.

It sounds like you bought the older style of filter with the use a hose clip to hold the pipe on.

To de-pressurise the fuel system just pull the 10 amp fuel pump fuse & start the engine, It will run for a few second & then die, This will de-pressurise the fuel system for you.

From the description of the whirring you hear on opening the drivers door or waiting 10 minutes I reckon your 306 has a keypad immobiliser? Does it?

To clamp the feed hose from the tank without a hose clamping tool heres a trick.

Take a pair of mole grips & 2 x large sockets, Open the mole grips up wide & place one socket over each jaw, Now you have a nice round smooth edge on each jaw to clamp your pipe shut without damaging it :wink:
Swampie

Post by Swampie »

Ahhh, there's a newer style fuel filter... good to know that I'm not just going mad!

Immobiliser - transponder in the key (and IR central locking keyfob - no deadlock).

I think I'm on the boundary between models - sump washer is wrong size according to books - I keep being given a copper 14mm washer, when the current one isn't copper, is slightly larger, and has a rubber seal in the middle (I guess it's 16mm, which I heard described as - 'the older style'). New style fuel filter, but old sump washer...

Guess it helps to have some mole grips then... ;)
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Just been looking on the Pug parts cd rom & the later 306 TU3 ( 1.4 litre petrol ) fuel filters do use clip on connections for the fuel filter.

It might be an idea to visit your Peugeot dealers parts department with the cars VIN number & ask about the filter.

Your car could be one that's a cross over between a change or modification that was around at the time, I had that before on my old 405 with a clutch cable issue.