Estate load capacities

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Estate load capacities

Post by Allanxantia »

I have a Xantia Hatch which I am looking to change for an estate. I am interested in what length of load we can fit in the estates. I fit wardrobe doors and they can be up to 8ft long. Probably too long for an XM estae but how long can we fit in? would also consider a 406 estate
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The Xantia estate is about six inch longer than the hatchback if I remember right.

I've had a seven foot sofa in the back of the 807 with the back door closed if that's any help. :lol:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have an XM estate and have carried all manner of things in it, from eletronic organs to three piece suites. I have been looking for a possible replacement and have not been able to find one with the same capacity, except possibly the E class Merc which is about the same size and apart from being expensive, goes rusty and is about as reliable as a Citroen!

The biggest Estate ever was I belive the CX. My son used to borrow mine to go window cleaning and he could get his ladders inside! I am pretty sure that the XM is the biggest, its even bigger than the old Volvo's. Not only is it big but its also very comfortable and economical, well the diesel one is, especially the 2.1 td manual, the only problem is they are getting very hard to find now.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Peter.N. wrote:the only problem is they are getting very hard to find now.
Not only are they getting hard to find but the people selling them are often asking quite ridiculous amounts of money for them too. There have been a couple of 2.5TDs posted on here for sale for rather a lot more than they are really worth. Maybe their rarity and practicality makes them worth as much as is asked, but when the asking prices go as high as they do, other expensive alternatives start looking good value!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with Kowalski, the really late, low mileage ones are being put up for sale at ridiculous prices - but they dont seem to be selling many.

If you can get hold of a Mk2, 2.1 td manual estate (late '94 on, chevrons in middle of grill) they can be a very reliable and economical car. I dont think any of the modern cars can touch them for ride quality and comfort, quite apart from the space. Most of these are in very good condition bodily and internally and very well put together, a lot are being scrapped for expensive mechanical faults, but I think that they are well worth spending the money on. They are capable of very high mileages. if looked after. My last one had covered 292k when I sold it and was not only still going strong but still looked nice both inside and out.

The one I have at present needed a head gasket and water pump soon after I bought it. I was quoted nearly £1,000, just for the gasket job, so I did it myself, not easy, but I have been rewarded with a virtually trouble free car for the last 20K.

When you think how much you would have to pay for a new or late car with a similar spec, I think they are worth spending a couple of grand on to put right.

The 2.1 td manual is likely to be the cheapest to run although not to find, avoid auto's as failure of the gearbox will write it off. 2.5s are very nice to drive but difficult to get spares for and to work on. Most of the 2.1s have mechanical fuel injection - no ECU!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Just a thought - if you take out the front pasenger seat of a Xantia (or any other car for that matter) you will significantly increase the length of load that can be carried. There may however be wiring there for various devices like seat belt pre-tensioners down there.
jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Long items can also be stuck out of a sunroof! Not sure of the legality though :D
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Have removed the passenger seat of the Xantia to carry long items.
There is one plug to do with, I think, sensing a passenger for the retracting belt.
Nothing went wrong, no warning lights, no complications, as if nothing had been done.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389