Recommend any good tyres?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smashymike

Recommend any good tyres?

Post by smashymike »

Hi again, glad to be back but it took some finding, where've you been. When did the forum split from GSF? Anyways, i'm after a new set of tyres for my 95 1.9TD SX Xantia. Currently on 185/65/15s on Activa alloys which look a little naff so wondering this time around i'm thinking i'll go a little lower, maybe 195/55/15 so what's a good tyre these days? Anyone anyrecommendations other than the Michelin or should i just stay put? Thanks guys.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tyres are like oils : pretty much a religion for users.

I'd say stay off the cheapest ones - and the dearest ones. Then go chase down a good offer on the quick fitters. Always some place where they clear off at a good price.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Whitecrook
My Cars:

Post by Whitecrook »

I've got good year haydragrip on my xantia estate, and they seem pretty good, but I can't help windering if michelins would have been better (i'v never used a new set of michelin, but I have a michelon enegy spare which is worn and it has no grip compared to hydragrips.

It's still really easy to wheel spin and lock these tyres up though. I don't know if that would be the case with michelins
--
'96 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The Michelin Energy tyres aint made for handling & grip, They are made for saving fuel by offering little rolling resistance.

A Michelin Pilot Primacy is another matter, A very long service life & very good grip in the wet make up for the slightly higher price.

I was told by someone in the know that there's a new Primacy tyre just about to come out called the Primacy HP, Haven't tried one of these yet though.

Pick a Pilot Primacy for everyday driving, A Pilot Sport would be wasted on a Xantia, A Pilot Exalto is a good all rounder tyre.

I would pick the Pilot Primacy :wink:

Michelins at the moment seem to be around £70 to £80 a corner, I remember about 3 years ago paying £125 a corner for 195 55 15 V Pilot Primacys, But they where worth it :wink:
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

PowerLee wrote:Michelins at the moment seem to be around £70 to £80 a corner, I remember about 3 years ago paying £125 a corner for 195 55 15 V Pilot Primacys, But they where worth it :wink:
Don't mention tyres, when I worked for Michelin I used to get them on my own car free. Now I have to pay for them :(
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

:cry: Same here .... I used to work for Dunlop Tyres in Birmingham where 'Test Tyres' otherwise known as free tyres were available. And by the way, I am running my V6 on Michelin Pilots £50.0 per corner and the 1.9TD on 'rebranded' Dunlops at £29.0 per corner.
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I have used Firestone fire hawks on mine,but after switching to Michelin Energy,the ride was a lot better.They were £60 each for 205/60/15`s,only £7 more than the Firestones.I find they are a great tyre,with no problems with wet or dry grip.And i do like to "press on" now & then. :)
By the way Smashymike,205/60/15`s are a straight swap for 185/65/15`s with no change to rolling resistance or speedo reading.I changed to 205`s on my existing VSX alloys.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Goodride tyres = all the grip of a dog on laminate flooring. Best avoided apparently!

I Use BFG's - I believe are rebranded michelins, somebody correct me here. At £25 a corner they are noisy compared to the Energy tyres they replaced, but wearing well.
deian

Post by deian »

i swear by Toyo Proxes T1-S, they grip like chewing gum on hot tarmac, and are brilliant in the wet.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Just added another 2 Michelin Pilot Premacy to my C5 on 195-65R15 (V speed). Compared to Energy the car has a LOT more grip.

The ride doesn't feel much different to the previous Energys. Probably quieter too.

£58 each at Costco (no special discounts at the moment). Bargain.

They are also £5 cheaper than in November.

Go for Pilots. You won't be disappointed.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I've got a set of 205/60/15 Michelin Energy XM1 on mine. Enough grip to do some pretty scary cornering....(plenty for me thank you!) pretty good wet grip, and much quieter ride than the cheapos that were on there before.

Have yet to see how long lasting they are, as they are supposed to be a bit firmer ride and longer lasting than the likes of the MXV8.

By the way when people are talking about "Michelin Energy" tyres which ones are you talking about ???

Don't lump all the "Energy" tyres in together, they have vastly different tread patterns, sidewalls, performance, ride etc, the ONLY thing that is common in the Energy range is the silica compounds for reduced rolling resistance...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
johninderbyshire
My Cars:

Post by johninderbyshire »

i have 195/55/15 h on my xsara, am i being ripped off at £76 for a michelin primacy then???
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Well, users and owners find that Michelins are the ones to go if one doesn't want to decrement the comfort level of the cars. HP Cit's seem to be extremely picky on this subject regarding Michelins.
All i can say is: We had change the standard Firestone firecr@p tyres on our previous Passat for Michelin Primacy. A LOT more grip, exceptionally good on wet (it seemed the road was dry), and after 30.000kms they were like new.
We once bought Toyos for the 406, but they came ovalized from the factory, so no more from these make, although the thread seemed like the rubber found on our desktops, very gummy and a good grip(they wouldn't last very long, would they? :twisted: )
Personally i find the standard Energy used on the C5 very noisy, even though they have a good grip on the road, unfortunately :(, and i'm expecting to get some Primacys in the future.
Ben, are Primacys really good on the C5? How's the comfort level now?
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

OK, I had Energy MXT on the Xsara, these were average. Changed for Energy E3A and was a noticeable improvement.

The C5 came fitted with Energy XH2 and little change was noticed when fitting E3A, however Michelin Primacy has a noticeable improvement in handling.

£80 isn't bad for a Michelin tyre that size, so you're not being ripped off. I was quoted over £100 by several places. But a Costco membership would pay for itself more than twice in one purchase.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Mandrake wrote:talking about "Michelin Energy" tyres which ones are you talking about ???
Good question ! :?

I've got MXV3A's that are several years old, and they're called 'Energy'.
Don't know whose turn it is to be called 'Energy' now. :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389