Cyl Head Bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RStacey
My Cars:

Cyl Head Bolts

Post by RStacey »

Hi

Has anybody got any views or experience on the reuse of cyl head bolts - I'm changing the head gasket on a 1.9 td Xantia and I was supprised to read in the manual (Haynes) that I can reuse the head bolts if they haven't stretched passed a specified length - I don't want to spend £20 if its not neccessary but feel it might end up a false economy if I don't

Richard
1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is corect if they are within the length they "should "be ok to re use,but if you have allready gone to all the expence of having the head skimed and then having the valves sunk in to the corect depth it is false economy not to put new head bolts in,if one snaps off right down in the block you realy will have probs
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

False economy re-using the old head bolts.
You did in fact fork out the cost for a head skim - right :?
- if not the whole project is a time waster :!:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

Thanks for the replies - No I havn't had is skimmed and wasn't intending to as the reason for the change was to stop an oil leak from the cambelt end where the oil feed to the head runs - the old gasket was damaged from the oilway out to the cam end of the head but there was no compression or water loss from the rest of the head and apart from making a mess on the drive the engine was running perfectly. I have checked the head for warp as far as I can with the tools I have (steel straight edge and feeler guages) and it looks perfect, as does the block - do you still suggest I have the head skimmed?

Regards

Richard
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

For a trustworthy job always get the head skimmed and fit new bolts, there is availabe a "metal " head gasket from curty payen sometimes listed as a Volcane TD gasket which IMHO is also worth the money. Many places offer pressure testing which tends to cost more than the skim and in your case could probably be omitted,carefully follow the torque/angle tightening sequence and you should be okay
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Providing that you have checked the head for flatness then I can see no reason to have the head skimmed... any small amount of head distortion/high spots etc can safely be absorbed by the head gasket.
SO when your gasket doesgo :D you still have plenty of 'meat' left on the head to get it skimmed flat again. Oh and yes I would spend the money you saved on not skimming the head on a new set of head bolts.
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

aufull lot of work to got to only to have gasket probs when you have refitted it,as the head has got to be perfectly flat not just there abouts,other wise your just testing luck,your talking about weather you should or should not spend out £20 squide on a set of bolts and your considering not doing the rest of the job properly
regards malcolm
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

Thanks for the advise - its all good, and if I can I will follow it. Unfortunatly its not about 'saving' money but 'finding' it, and
I may be forced to balance the cost against the risk.

Regards

Richard
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D