Checking under Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

Checking under Xantia

Post by fangy »

I'm going to take the rear wheel off and have a look at the suspension arm on my Xantia but could anybody tell me what setting I should have the suspension on, should the car be running with the suspension on the high setting like for changing a wheel, or should I put the car on the high setting/jack/axle stands wheel off then put it to the lowest setting before checking the arm out ?
Thanks,
Fangy.
andmcit
My Cars:

Re: Checking under Xantia

Post by andmcit »

fangy wrote:I'm going to take the rear wheel off and have a look at the suspension arm on my Xantia but could anybody tell me what setting I should have the suspension on, should the car be running with the suspension on the high setting like for changing a wheel, or should I put the car on the high setting/jack/axle stands wheel off then put it to the lowest setting before checking the arm out ?
Thanks,
Fangy.
I'd say that if you fancy being around still this time next year the safest bet is axle stands on the rear with the car securely supported and fully depressurised!!

If you're trying to determine rear arm bearing play, the car will need to be depressurised anyway. Lowest setting and allow the car to run a minute or so before opening the bleed screw on the accumulator. The arm should be moveable into any orientation linked that is to the opposite side via the roll bar.

Take it easy!!

Andrew
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

To test rear arms its probably good to have the car running, normal height and stand behind it, look for wheels leaning like this / \ if they are vertical then the other possibility is dry bearings, are you getting creaking groaning noises when the car rises and falls? with regard to getting under there, securlely placed axle stands, wooden blocks etc are the definite order of the day, whilst its up on ramps/ stands why not lubricate the ride height linkages? these are responsible for a plethora of annoying problems and a few minutes spent cleaning, and lubing them will pay dividends.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
fangy

Post by fangy »

I've had a look at the car, (normal suspersion height) from the back and the wheels look to be sitting ok, I don't get any creaking when the car goes up and down but at 30 mph going over normal bumps in the road the car creaks from the back, you said the tyre wear could be caused by dry bearings, is this the wheels bearing or arm bearings? when looking underneath the car andmcit said to depressurise it, will the car depressurise ok with the back wheel off the ground (supported on axle stands) or does it need weight on all four wheels before it depressurises? Thanks for all the help,
Fangy.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Firstly have you checked the rear spheres - if they fail you have no rear suspension. Test by getting the car to normal height and sit un the boot - it should drop a long way - like 6 inches or more. If you do this test having just turned off the engine the car should rise again - in which case the accumulator is working.

With the suspension set to high the suspension is virtually locked as the thing will just continue to pump as hard as it can and stretch the mechanism. On minimum setting the thing is conpletely relaxed and the height corrector will allow all pressurised LHM to return to the reservoir. In this or maybe the normal position you may be able to find wear.

Its the trailing arm bearings that are likely to have failed - the hub ones are generally reliable.
jeremy
fangy

Post by fangy »

I'll check out the back spheres, just one last thing, is it ok to jack/axle stand the car then put the suspension to the lowest setting while one back wheel is off the ground or does the four wheels have to have the cars weight on them to fully depressurise?
Cheers,
Fangy.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its Ok to lift one wheel at a time - what you must remember is that these cars all have heavy anti-roll bars and so you will find that if one back wheel is at min height the other one will be as well!

When supporting the car you may have to be careful when adjusting the height as of course the suspension at the other end will drop as well and this can dislodge the thing from its supports.

If I raise one front wheel on my BX on a wheel ramp - it lifts the back wheel on the same side well clear of the ground as the suspension goes down.
jeremy
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for all your help.
Fangy.