Diesel Engines-How long do they last?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gold Pirate

Diesel Engines-How long do they last?

Post by Gold Pirate »

Strange question, but my Berlingo 1.9D is the first diesel i've owned. Have read on here of people getting mega-mileage 250K from this type of engine (XUD) but is this the norm? I expect to be doing high mileage in mine this year 25-30K, and cant afford to replace the vehicle, so has anybody any tips about squeezing high mileages from these engines, any do's or don'ts. Or is it frequent oil changes and a bit of luck! I'm off to France next week so will stock up on cheap engine oil any brand recommended?

Cheers ! Steve. :D
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Hi My mate was a taxi driver and he had a 405 which had the original engine in it and he had done 375,000 miles and it was still going strong when he sold it. The secret he serviced it every 6k miles...oil filters etc etc. After that he got a xantia which he bought with 90k on it and when he got rid that had done 260k again still going strong...so with regular servicing there should be no reason that your citroen should not do you for years to come.
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Diesel Engines-How long do they last?

Post by Kowalski »

Gold Pirate wrote:Strange question, but my Berlingo 1.9D is the first diesel i've owned. Have read on here of people getting mega-mileage 250K from this type of engine (XUD) but is this the norm? I expect to be doing high mileage in mine this year 25-30K, and cant afford to replace the vehicle, so has anybody any tips about squeezing high mileages from these engines, any do's or don'ts. Or is it frequent oil changes and a bit of luck! I'm off to France next week so will stock up on cheap engine oil any brand recommended?

Cheers ! Steve. :D
I've got a Xantia with a 1.9 TD thats done over 160k and still drives like new. The 1.9D (without a turbo) lasts as long as the TD if not longer! There were some posts on here a while ago about a BX that had done close to a million miles on the same 1.9D engine.

There isn't really a lot you can do to make the engine last longer, it lasts a long time obviously abuse will shorten its life but if they're serviced to schedule they go on for a long long time. As long as you change the oil every 5k miles, change the cam belt at the recommended interval, change the coolant every couple of years and keep an eye on fluid levels it'll be going strong long after you've got sick of it.
Gold Pirate

Post by Gold Pirate »

Thanks for the advice fella's ! much appreciated.

Very impressive mileages these engines have done, i'll drop the oil changes from 10K to 5K intervals that seems a good tip, but it's going to upset the oil/beer balance on the French trip :wink:

Cheers ! Steve.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Is it just you or are you taking the OH too.....dont take her and the space saved means more beer :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They can last those sort of milieages providing they are serviced regularly. I sold a CX diesel at 266k and an XM at 292k but to get that sort of mileage the oil must be changed regularly. I change mine every 5k . It doesn't have to be expensive oil as long as it meets the necessary specs. I rarely pay more than £6.00 for mine.
Gold Pirate

Post by Gold Pirate »

I like your style mezuk04 :lol: the OH insists on going, but come to think about it she hasn't mentioned coming back!!!

I thought about buying oil from the French supermarket as seems so much cheaper than here,....what isn't!! but if you can get it at £6 a can Peter, why bother. Do you buy in bulk or is that trade?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The secret to long diesel lifespan:

- change oil and filter with a respectable make according to service spec.

- anti-corrosive coolant all year round

- keep an eye on the coolant hoses and also on the temp. gauge. TD's HATE getting hot.

- if you hammer it, let the turbo cool down before you shutting off, or you carbonise the oil in the turbine bearing.
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Gold pirate - No I get my oil from Trago mills, a west country out of town store. It looks cheap and nasty but is marked with the required spec - CF4 and some other markings I cant remember, look in your handbook or Haynes manual if you have one, I think they can get that right!
Gold Pirate

Post by Gold Pirate »

Thanks again guys!

Good point NiSK, i'll renew the coolant.

I know Trago on the Liskeard road well Peter, my parents are from Cornwall which is one of the reasons for my higher than average mileage. I've bought the Comma oil from there before but have shied away from their home brand, mind you their paint and other building products are spot on and 292K on your XM speaks for itself. I'm down their at easter so i'll stock up then.....also solves my beer problem! :lol:

Cheers again! Steve.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My BX diesel is nearly on the 228000 mile mark- and its got a lot of life left in it yet!!

It passed its MOT earlier this week, going through the smoke test on quick-pass. I put this down to regular oil and filter (air,oil and fuel) changes, having a temp gauge, and recon injectors at around 200000 miles- it works for its living, and I don't treat it particularly lovingly: its only a car, and I haven't anthropomorphised it by giving it a name or anything bizarre like that :roll:

Its all in the oil changes............ :!:
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Gold Pirate wrote: I've bought the Comma oil from there before but have shied away from their home brand.
Leave their own brand alone, IME it's poor quality junk that burns off too quickly and makes an XUD feel rougher than a badgers backside.

The Comma stuff is good oil and only about £6.50 in the Newton Abbot branch.

Tesco Diesel oil isn't too bad either, looks smells and drives just like the Comma stuff (who probably make it, what with Tesco not having their own oil refinery....)

'arry
Pug 405 1.9D Estate 1995
Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec (wife's car) 2000
MZ Skorpion Traveller 660, MZ Trophy Sport, MZ ETZ251, Kawasaki EX-500.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its the Comma stuff I use, also from Newton Abbot, but I have bought my oil from there for the last 30 years or more and have had good mileage from all my engines. They used to do filters but they dont seem to now, GSF Exeter is the cheapest I have found.

Just another thought, the newer diesels have much extended oil change intervals, is this just for the benifit of fleet managers, or does it really last this long? I think I would be inclined to stilll change it at 5k.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think extending diesel service intervals is a bit more complicated than simply not bothering for another xthousand miles. My understanding is that improvemnets in oil AND FILTRATION have allowed the intervals to be extended. I think a range of sepcial filters is used.
jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

210 000 miles out of a 1.9 non-turbo (don't own it anymore but it's still going strong.

150 000 miles out of another 1.9 non-turbo - runs perfectly, uses no oil and still returns 52mpg (just sold it)

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k