Xantia - How to route cables?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BonceChops
My Cars:

Xantia - How to route cables?

Post by BonceChops »

Just a quick question. How do you get cables from the engine bay to inside the car? I can't spot any suitable gromets that can be used and I need to add some cables soon.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'd like to know that too...

I wanted to run an LED from the Hydractive 2 computer to help me diagnose the suspension and I couldn't find an obvious way of routing cables through the firewall, so I ended up running it through the drivers door :lol:

No doubt proper cable routing would require removing the dash board :cry:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Most modern manufacturers go to some length to avoid making more holes in the bulkhead than necessary and when the do, try and fit something solid in them. The purpose is to keep out the noise and making new holes may cause unforseen problems.

I should imagine that the Xantia is constructed on this principal in which case probably the best thing to do is to make any new holes in some 'quiet' bit of the body - like the doors in your case Simon - or the floor.
jeremy
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

In my LHD Xantia, the loom is routed from the battery through the left front wing then through a rubber grommet from the wing to somewhere inaccessible behind the dash.

I tried to get some cables for my cruise control through, but ended up routing them through the door instead.

Søren
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I was hoping for a better way than I found last time.

If you remove the passenger wheel arch plastic liner you will see a gromit with I think some cables going through it. If I remember correctly there are a couple of gromits. If you open the left hand front door and pull off the rubber boot that takes cables into the door from the piller side you can pass cables from under the wing into the door piller. Then under the dash near the fan under the carpet and sound proofing is another gromit that the door cables go through. You can then route the new cables from the door pillar into the car.

It is a horrible way through and only good for smallish cables. I want to route a large cable to feed my audio amps :)
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Driver's side is the same, you can remove the wheel arch plastic liner and see a big rubber boot with cables going through it to the pillar. All the small rubber plugs on the pillar side can be removed or cut holes in them to route your cables. The cables goes to cabin under dash. Slowly prise up the rubber boot in the cabin side from the white plastic supporting it, then you can pass cables under the rubber boot, through the pillar and out under the wheel arch. I routed my boost meter hose this way. The problem is how to pass the cables from the cabin side to wheel arch. Remove all the rubber plugs so you can see where to route under the rubber boot in cabin side. Use a piece of wire about 1 ft long, attach to cable and poke under rubber boot over to the other side, like a needle and pull cable through. Then from under wheel arch, there are a few small holes to engine bay but need more threading with wire. Eventually you'll get it through.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

A 30mm hole saw would make a nice easy route but I could't decide where to drill it :)
Neil
Now Citrtoenless