poor starting xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred perry

poor starting xantia

Post by fred perry »

Hi I have a 1.9td Xantia 1993. It has done 145000 with a full history.Sometimes when you try and start it, it nearly starts ,then takes five goes to start it, eventually starting with a puff of white smoke and very rough. It seems to be getting worse. Also the rear suspension goes up after you driven it for a while ,but not all the time ,sometimes its fine. Any ideas would be greatly recieved . I have no experience with diesels or how they work.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Any history on the glow (pre-heater) plugs ?

These will last some 60Kmiles as a rule. They work as a small white hot glowing heater element in each cylinder to help the cold engine ignite and run calmly when cold - thus decreasing pollution.
Cost approx 6-8 quid each, fairly easy to replace. Makes a world of difference on coldstarting. Feels like you've got a new engine.
Also check the heavy gauge wiring running to the plugs. Must be in good condition as the plugs consumes lots of power.

Try find the fuel primer bulb. Usually on top of the fuel filter housing. If this bulb can be pumped in the mornings before you start - then you have air leaking into the fuel system. And this really makes for trouble starting on a diesel engine.
Common air problem is rotten rubber fuel lines - or a pin rust hole in the rigid fuel piping under the car from the tank. If any rubber hosing is simple push fit over rigid piping - then immediately suspect this for air leaks. Note that this is on the suction side of the pump. meaning you wont see any leaks. Its air sucked into the fuel system.

Suspension height has nothing to do with your engine problems. A good squirting several times over a couple of days with WD40 on the rear height corrector linkage will most likely cure the problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Hi Fred

I've just had the same problem with my Xantia, the problem was, as AndersDK said in previous post, air was getting into the system via a small hole in the fuel return pipe, once this was renewed it starts as it use to do, 1st time every time.

Good luck

Debbie
'94 M Reg Xantia 1.9 TD LX...70,000 miles, had it 2 years now and still LOVE it.

What a day,Oh what a day...