rear tyre wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

rear tyre wear

Post by fangy »

I've noticed that my back tyres have worn on the inside, the way they would on the front wheels of a car with the tracking out, does anyone know what would cause this. As far as I know they've never been swapped from the front to the rear and the tyre presures are ok.
Thanks,
Fangy.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Could this be the start of the rear arms failing?

Look from the back, are the wheels starting to lean at an angle???
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mezuk04 wrote:Could this be the start of the rear arms failing?

Look from the back, are the wheels starting to lean at an angle???
Will to a certain degree look like this (exaggerated) :
/---\

- the wellknown Citroen/Peug disease ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fangy

Post by fangy »

If it's the rear arms that are failing is it easily fixed? could you give me an idea of what to look foward to, I forgot to say it a Xantia 1.9 TD.
Cheers,
Fangy.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I naturally assumed it was a ZX :roll:

I assume the Xantia probably suffers from the same problem as the ZX...well it is a Citroen after all.

Basically like Anders say if the wheels are /---\ like that but of course this is exaggerated then its the rear arms....on the ZX its pretty cheap and fairly easy to do but requires a weekend free however unsure about the Xantia since theirs extra stuff under there.....you need a professional opinion, which is something I cannot provide :cry:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Loads of sets of instructions on here - like this

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=1696

Xantia is much the same as a BX (CX etc) - ZX is rather different and more difficult and has a torsion bar suspension.

I would check the part numbers - may be for a BX
jeremy
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for the help, Just one question, are the bearings a real tight fit, I've been looking over an old BX manual I've got (don't have a Xantia one yet) It recommends putting the arm in a vice (which I don't have) and using a slide hammer, but going by the link http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=1696
It seems the bearing will come out without any hassle, could anybody tell me what to expect?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dont need to put the arm in a vice.

- yes the bearing shells (races) are a very tight fit.
But they are very crisp from the hardened steel they are made of. All you need then is a hard tipped long chisel that can hit the races from behind thru the arm.
One good lucky blow - and the race disintegrates. No more hassle getting it out :wink:

Fit the new bearings using a suitable size socket to drive them in. Be utterly careful not scratching the new races - as this immediately makes them crap :cry:

BTW : Any description of the job on a BX will do. Its exactly the same bearings & parts used except for the exterior design of the arm.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the best way to get the outer race out is put a blob of weld on two oposite sides of each outer race,then you will have something to drift them out by,because the problem is there is not much of an edge to get onto to drift them out,also make sure you find the remains of the shim whasher as you should mesure this and replace it with one of equal thickness,the only thing is the shims do not come with the arm repaire kit,and they are dealer only in an assorted packet
regards malcolm
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for everyones help. :D
Fangy.