Anybody want to talk me out of it??

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ssray
My Cars:

Anybody want to talk me out of it??

Post by ssray »

As we are moving soonish i am thinking of getting rid of my bx estate(1.9d na) as i will have to spend more time on the m/way.
so i`d like something quiter and more able to cope with modern traffic.
the budget is probably what i can get for the bx(2-300) +400ish.
my list is vw passat,xantia or zx all non estate versions.
i like the first not sure about the second and the third i kno i can get well under budget, i also used tesco finets renewable diesel
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Xantia will be less reliable than your BX and suffer with electrical gremelins.

Passat will probably cost more in running, but likely will last longer , be more refined.

ZX 1.9NA/D will run forever, but can be harsh over 70 on the motorway (though tyres do make a difference).

I would stick with the BX myself....
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

martyhopkirk wrote:Xantia will be less reliable than your BX and suffer with electrical gremelins.

Passat will probably cost more in running, but likely will last longer , be more refined.

ZX 1.9NA/D will run forever, but can be harsh over 70 on the motorway (though tyres do make a difference).

I would stick with the BX myself....
The Xantia is a far better car than the BX. If you get an early one with anti sink, no hydractive, no A/C or climate control and no ABS there will be very little electrical to go wrong on it that the BX didn't have. The Xantia doesn't sink and it has no octopus...

The Xantia estate didn't come along until later on and they tend to be expensive second hand compared to the hatches, your budget may not stretch to a diesel estate unless its a whole heap of trouble.

The ZX isn't as big or as refined as a Xantia and they cost very similar money, on the upside its smaller and lighter so it'll be a bit quicker and more economical than the Xantia. Where the Xantia will need spheres occasionally, the ZX will need dampers and they can break coil springs too, so they'll cost about the same to maintain.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I'd say unless you are going to buy Japanese or Korean, which will be a better car than anything European for the money, but soul-less, stick with the BX.

Mine went through its MOT yesterday with no problems, and despite its age and mileage I'm still using it for work including a daily motorway commute, its easy and cheap to keep on the road, and is easily capable of coping with modern traffic.

The Xantia is basically a BX only heavier and more boring looking, so you'd essentially be getting the same car but with more electrickery, I personally can't see the appeal of changing to a ZX- its smaller and hasn't got the load carrying capability, and is only marginally more economical.

The Passat is well built, but, if your BX is running o.k., then its probably a case of better the devil you know!!
The only nasty job I've had to do in the last year was the front track control bushes, and any car can throw up nasty jobs!!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

If you travel alone and dont need a large car, the ZX is the ideal car for you. The 1.9D n/a engine should run at 70 mph trouble free for years provided you maintain it well.. Basicaly thats what it was designed to do, and it does it very well.. :)

If you need a bigger car, then keep your BX... :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

i think it`s between a early xant` and a zx now, either will do and i have spotted a few at less than £500.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

When the traffic can keep up with my BX17TZD, I'll think about changing it. But it won't be for a Xantia which is a better built car that is not as good as a BX.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

It's A Question Of Time And Money

Post by ACTIVE8 »

tomsheppard wrote:
When the traffic can keep up with my BX17TZD, I'll think about changing it.
ssray

Maybe you should have bought a BX17TZD then you would not feel the need to change it now.
ssray wrote:i think it`s between a early xant` and a zx now, either will do and i have spotted a few at less than £500.

So, bear that in mind if you are still going to change your car, choose the right one with a suitable amount of power.

Although surely it's better to stick with the devil you know.

Also note others manage with 2CV's in modern traffic conditions.

Cars also came from abroad to attend the 2CV rally.

http://www.2cvgb.co.uk/site_extras_fold ... ndex.shtml

They travelled a long distance, and would have used the motorways.

Save your money, use it on the house move, and any work you need to do on it, the house will keep you busy enough.

If you have to sort out a car you just bought, that might turn out to have many problems, that don't manifest themselves straight away it could be a money pit which ties up too much of your time.
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 14 Mar 2006, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

i think it`s between a early xant` and a zx now, either will do and i have spotted a few at less than £500.
Thats not a lot of money and its the final user, banger end of the market. Unless somethings seriously wrong with your BX or you really don't like it, what you are looking at here is exchanging one old car with a history that you know for another old car with a history that you don't know.......... :!:
JohnTurbo
My Cars:

Post by JohnTurbo »

I personally like the individuality of the early Xantias as a compromise with being a more moden car. They got a bit mainstream after the facelifts, but still a lot of car for the money. £500quid will get you a low mileage, well pampered, FSH Xantia.

Mine was £150 with about 3/4 SH, and a couple of spheres and some new locks off ebay have sorted it nicely. - except the fuel pump going, but that was my fault for running it on 60% SVO in the snow. - Funny, my rover's XUD/cav was fine with it.
Citroens have more spheres.
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

i think i will look at a bx d/turbo or a zx, the bx i know the zx should be a bit nippier
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have both BX DTR Turbo estate and a ZX 1.9D. Zx has done about 78K and BX has done 200K.

My comment is that the ZX is nice and quiet, a bit more economical (but not much) and will apparently run all day at an indicated 90 mpg and probably faster if required. It also corners nicely and the self-steering rear end stick very well.

Which do I prefer to drive? - The BX anyday - just seems to fit me better.

jeremy
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the build quality of the BX might not be as high as the XANTIA but a BX is easyer to mend and far less complicated,you oviously are not driving it right if its not keeping up with modern traffic,my daugters dersh keep up and its only gas flowed 602cc,BXCLUSIVE for ever
regards malcolm