Odd diesel air leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HST

Odd diesel air leak

Post by HST »

I've got a 98 2.1TD Xantia and noticed some odd behaviour on starting. I've tracked it down to air in the fuel line around the fuel filter. What is strange is that it only occurs when the car has sat for hours and clears within a short time of starting. If you watch the clear tubing immediately after starting you see the bubbles, which soon disappear. Once gone the engine runs fine & they don't return untill the engine has been turned of & left for many hours.

This seems to have started shortly after changing the fuel filter (ex GSF). As far as I can tell I haven't diturbed anything & the filter houing is on tight: any ideas??
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If this is the plastic fuel filter housing with the top fixed by 4 allen screws, I have never known a problem with this one, but the round screw on can types will leak with the slightest disturbance. If its of the latter type, screw the can round with the bolt as you tighten this usually makes it seal. If its the former type I can only suggest that you try changing the 'O' ring.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the O ring seal under the filter houseing can let air in,did you remove just the lid to change the filter or did you remove the complete houseing to clean it out,this O ring is about £5 squide from cit dealer,unless some one on here knows of an after market supplier of these seals,the other point that can let air into the system is the snap together pipe couplings,mainly if they have been disconected
regards malcolm