What would you do if there was a world catastrophe

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

What would you do if there was a world catastrophe

Post by 406 V6 »

Just to spice things up a bit and to give some ideas. One never knows...

Okay, what would you do, if, for any out of this world reason, severe floodings, sudden temperature drop, nuclear winter, etc (name another apocaliptical scenario), all the power would cease, or become extremely rare. How would you deal with this, and manage to, well, survive? (low tech answers to a problem, like lost on an island)

- make small wind generator out of a car to feed occasionally a radio. But would radio stations/transmiters still work?;
- Make room for provisions, clothing;
- starting to arrange ways of growing food

I imagined this because we live in a world of total dependency of technology, even in it's most simple form, how would one strive if going back to basics, to its roots?
If you think this is a silly post, just let me know and i'll take to a moderator ;)

Cheers!
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

You don't need power to run an AM radio, the power is there for the amplifier. You can make what is known as a crystal radio with a sesitive earpiece which will work with no power.

First thing would be to get weapons. It would be no use having stores of food or the means to grow food if you can't protect it.

Then I would find someone with a big stock of food and persuade them to part with some of it. :twisted:

next thing would be to start heading for somewhere with a warmer climate.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

A lot depends upon the catastrophy - and whether or not you're in a position to miss it's initial onslaught! You'd need a different strategy for short term upheavals or for long term survival. Initially (in either case) it'll be the basics: water, shelter, warmth and food; and possibly first aid...
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...