Advice about a knob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Advice about a knob

Post by alan s »

With the tropical sun out here turning the interiors of cars to dust almost as you watch them, I had the misfortune the other day in a heatwave to have to leave the car 94/95 Xantia VSX 2.0i 5 speed manual out in the direct sun for about 3 or 4 hours.
When I started and put the car into gear, the gearknob simply fell apart in my hand. It was like the insides of an orange with the way the sections fell apart.
I've been too busy to take a real close look, but from a quick glance it seems that below the actual knob, the lower section splays out to accomodate the smaller tied on section of the gear stick gaitor and it seems at first glance to be forced on.
Has anyone ever had to replace one and if so, what's the go? Angle grinder off and SuperGlue to fit the new one or is there something a bit more sophisticated and at a pinch, can a different non genuine one be fitted?

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

People have posted about other Peugeot / Citroen cars and their gearknobs. It was the case with the older knobs that they screwed onto the shaft, but they were extremely tight, i.e. there was friction between the plastic and the shaft not just being screwed on tight. The recommended method was to grip the (fully intact ;)) knob with locking pliers(vice grips / molegrips) and simply screw it off.

No doubt somebody who knows what they're doing will be along soon.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

In my old ZX the gear knob was just kind of held to the metal bit by "ribs" on the metal. So it just pulled off. This was one of the similar shaped knobs that the xantia has, so my guess is it just pulls off.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Must be a reason why any car accessory shop have a colossal selection of leather/gold/alu/bluelight/your mood gear knobs :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

wilkobob wrote:In my old ZX the gear knob was just kind of held to the metal bit by "ribs" on the metal. So it just pulled off. This was one of the similar shaped knobs that the xantia has, so my guess is it just pulls off.
That`s right. Same happended to me. Got it at the Citroen Dealership and cost me around US$15.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Thanks for all this.
At present I seem to be running 24 hours a day so don't have time to do things when I'd like to, but the reason for my concern is that the gear lever on my car will lift upwards about an inch or more and I find anyone not used to driving it can accidentally lift it and get into "no mans land" and I was a bit concerned that this damage may have been done when the previous owner tried to possibly change it and may have damaged something somewhere along the mechanism of the gearlever.
When you say there are usually heaps of knobs the same shape, does this include the belled out underpart of the knob that the leather gaitor fits on to also?

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Any gearknob from your backyard selection of spare cars would go straight on - as long as its not a knob with a threaded steel insert.
Me dont thinks you have time to visit a car accessory shop - they've got too many nice car items to fall in love with - and before you know it - you've spent a couple of hours looking at their blooming shelves :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image