Xantia Indicators/Hazard Lights/Central Locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

foxbat

Xantia Indicators/Hazard Lights/Central Locking

Post by foxbat »

New here so dont know if anyone can help.
I have an M reg 1995 Citroen Xantia 1.8i with central locking, deadlocks and an immobiliser. In the past everything has worked just fine, but over the last few days an otherwise intermittent snag has become permanent.

I lock the car normally using the plip key fob, and go away. However, on returning to the car and using the plip to unlock it, the indicators flash as normal but all the indicator bulbs on the offside remain illuminated, front, rear and repeater. No amount of recycling the locking system clears the 'permanently on' state of the bulbs. Turning off the ignition doesn't turn them off either. Obviously this situation will quickly lead to a flat battery. In desperation I have removed the bulbs. This of course means that I dont have any offside indicators!

On checking with the notoriously inaccurate Haynes Manual Wiring diagrams, I suspect that the lights obtain an alternate 12v supply from the Central Locking System Computer which is located either under the Centre Console or behind the Dash panel, clipped onto the Heater unit.
(I note that although my car is 1995 registered the wiring in a lot of cases is more like that of a 1998 onward version).

Since the both the N/S/F and O/S/F indicators share a common ground it is unlikely to be an earthing problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can they perhaps come up with a fix before I start ripping the car interior to bits looking for the computer?
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Check for damp in the passenger footwell - in particular under the seat as this is where the alarm module is located and the smallest amount of damp can cause problems. In true Citroen fashion the seat has to come out to access the module :roll: .

Thats the passenger footwell on UK cars as it may have moved to other places in different markets