HELP REMOVING AND REFITTING DRIVERS DOOR

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

HELP REMOVING AND REFITTING DRIVERS DOOR

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Hi, I have just ordered a drivers door for my xantia 1.9td estate to replace the rusty one thats on it at the moment. The new door will be arriving on tuesday is there anything i need to know about the removal and refitting of front doors on a xantia. I know a lot has been mentioned about the hinges and the pins that fit through the hinges is there an easy way of removing and refitting them, also the door lock barrel and anything else anyone can think of that may be of help to me come early next week....Any information, tips dont matter how trivial they may be will be appreciated...Thank you Colin
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

This is what you need-you can use these where access is awkward, like the BX top hinge. Basically its self explanatory how it works-assemble to hinge pin, and whack the cranked bit of the tool holder with a hammer!!

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8597

But shop around!!!

Regarding removing the locks, etc, you have the benefit of the old door to practice on-once you have the new door take a grinder to the shell of the old one-it'll make acsess easy and quick.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

First off, the hinge pins on a Xantia's door actually UNTHREAD - so don't go swelting it with a pin removal tool as that'll really bugger things up!!

The only real hassle you'll have is getting a good alignment for an extension on your ratchet that you'll need to reach the torx headed top pin/bolt.

Great - much better than the "fun" of removing door pins on a Gs/XM/CX any day...

so far that is until you check out the wiring loom that feeds into the door first! This doesn't unplug like the nice big multiplug as used on the Xm that twists and pops off at the hinge....

Unless I've been blind when breaking two Xantias recently, I've not found a way of parting the car's main loom by unplugging a nice big plug ANYWHERE handy, you'll have to thread the whole loom out of the door towards the pillar/hinge and rethread it back into the replacement door!!

Things that spring to mind that may be worth mentioning...

The glass runners are a "novel" arrangement too, so take care not to fudge them all up. There's a plastic clip that acts as a "buggy" that runs in the plastic vertical door frame - take it easy popping it apart.

There's the electric motor striker that's got an extended knurled bar that operates the locking movement which can all get a tad distressed when you're heaving it around in the tight space trying to get it all removed too!

Time, fingers the length of ET and the strength of 10 men should win out at the end of the day though! :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps! :wink:

Andrew
busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

andmcit wrote: Unless I've been blind when breaking two Xantias recently, I've not found a way of parting the car's main loom by unplugging a nice big plug ANYWHERE handy, you'll have to thread the whole loom out of the door towards the pillar/hinge and rethread it back into the replacement door!!
yeah I couldn't believe that either when I just broke one, i also found the wiring plug to the door lock a pain as it comes off different to every other one on the car and is right in a corner out of sight and reach
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when removing and refitting it makes the job a lot easyer if you have a trolly jack with a block of wood on placed under the door,if you get the balance about right makes it so much easyer
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

PLUS - use nails as hingepins to support the door once the hingepins are out. Makes it a lot easier also fitting the door initially this way.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image