Leaky Boot Again - Xantia Estate!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

320i coupe

Leaky Boot Again - Xantia Estate!!!

Post by 320i coupe »

Hi all,

Just a quick query, I have a ’97 SX TD Estate which has had a problem with a leaky boot.

After reading the advice of your members, I discovered the membrane behind the boot lid indeed was coming away, and have now sealed this membrane, and have also dried out the boot carpet, which was soaked through!

I have noticed now that when the weather is wet, the boot lid trim no longer gets wet as it used to, and no water ingress seems to come from here, but I’ve noticed that the insulation under the carpet is gradually getting damper (although no where near as bad as before!).

The car is completely dry from front & back carpets & foot wells, so its not going from heater matrix / windscreen etc…

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where else water could get in that I’m not checking??

Thanks

Steve
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Leaking

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Check the rear tailgate to bodyshell seal, ensure that the tailgate is shutting properly, and in correct alignment to the bodyshell, also check the rear wiper spindle.

If you get someone to spray the car with a hose, to carry out a water leak test, while you are in the boot of the car then it might help you diagnose the source of the leak.
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

Thanks for the reply!

I have looked at the alighment of the boot, and all seems well, the rubber seal appears to be where it should, and doesnt have any fischers or tears...

How can the wiper spindle let in water, and where from???

Thansk again!

Steve
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

In general where a wiper spindle enters any vehicle it has the potential to leak. I have had to renew the seal where the spindle passes through the panel when replacing spindles on other makes of vehicle.

It normally comes as part of the repair kit.

This picture below shows the rubber seal on a different car.

320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

Again, thanks for that!

I will check it this weekend & post back the results!

Thanks

Steve
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Try rubbing some chalk along the entire length of the boot seal then when you run water from a hose on it if it is leaking through the seal then it will show up as the chalk will have been removed from that area. Works well in theory........but its worth a try.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

ACTIVE8 wrote:In general where a wiper spindle enters any vehicle it has the potential to leak. I have had to renew the seal where the spindle passes through the panel when replacing spindles on other makes of vehicle.
Any water coming through the spindle on a Xantia should be caught by the membrane.

My bet is the membrane still has a leak, probably around the lock area, which passes water directly under the carpet.

Mine never had wet carpets, the water always ran straight under the mat and into the rear footwells.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I agree with Homer.After doing this job a few times on mine,i finally stoped the leak on the 3rd try.Its bugger to get the membrain sealed around the lock area,so double check the membrain. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

np wrote:I agree with Homer.After doing this job a few times on mine,i finally stoped the leak on the 3rd try.Its bugger to get the membrain sealed around the lock area,so double check the membrain. :)
I should really check mine as water is getting to the rear footwells now :oops:
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Check out this topic http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... aking+boot
Have a look at the way i sealed mine up.Thats the best way i`ve found.Still with no leaks.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

Thanks for info, i will give it a go!

But one other thing, is there a repair kit for the washer beneath the rear wiper, or does anyone know where i can buy a replacement washer for this???

Thanks

Steve
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I have a tailgate related question...

Does the estate have a plastic tailgate like the hatch? I have a towbar-mounted bike carrier and I don't want to end up with both cars in the family being unable to use it.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

reblack68 wrote:I have a tailgate related question...

Does the estate have a plastic tailgate like the hatch?

Yes

:lol:
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Thanks, I thought it would be. It'll be a 406 for me then :D
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I'm not going to go outside in the damned cold again, but I'm tempted to have a prod about look see on my estate! I'm sure it IS actually metal rather than the naff plastic on the hatch. When did you last see the paint and laquer peeling off an estate tailgate...?

Go on, prove me wrong, I don't care!

Andrew