110 HDi Coolant Heater

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BonceChops
My Cars:

110 HDi Coolant Heater

Post by BonceChops »

Does anyone know which bits I would need from a scrap car to fit the coolant heater from a HDi model onto another car?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Coolant heater-an oxymoron surely :shock:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think there are 2 types:

1. The diesel powered one under the front wing. This requires a lot of piping and electronics - there was a post about it not so long back

2. The electric one on top of the gearbox (as we found on my mate's 306 when taking the gear box out last weekend). This is an inline fitment with what appears to be 4 glowplugs in it, in the heater feed pipe. This would be easier to fit, as you could just the get the unit, then wire it straight off the battery using a timer relay, tripped off the alternator output. Presumably the factory fit one takes a signal from the coolant temperature and switches off once it reaches a certain temperature.

If you're having trouble with an XUD rather than an HDi geting warm, then you probably need a new thermostat.
Richard W
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

She gets warm no problem. I just like the idea of her being warm already at 5:30am when I climb in half asleep. You can buy engine pre heaters and I was wondering if the diesel powered one might be a cheaper option. An electric one would give faster heat up times for demist etc in cold weather.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

So why not fit that coolant pipe running at back of engine - and pop in those glowers ?
Certainly knows what you are talking about BonceChops. Have to leave home mornings at 04:00 every second week these days.
No fun in deep dark frosty mornings with a 15mins blizzard on the way :shock:

I'll try look it up on PR-net - will be back with more details.

BTW : why is a blizzard always coming up when leaving home ? - and over when you arrive at work ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Found one listed under Xsara HDI :

6462.E1 - WATER REHEATER (1478,05) (Dkr pricetag/11 = approx GB£)

Thats a complete 4glow unit stud to stud ex electric cabling & controls.
Its purpose made and easy to install. I'd say no more expensive than any other aftermarket fiddly to fit device.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Many thanks Anders. I might try and find one in a breakers
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My '97 Xantia has some sort of heater but it doesn't really make the air coming out of the vents hot, its just enough to take the cold edge off it. I haven't found the heater yet, but I've not really been looking for it.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

AndersDK wrote: BTW : why is a blizzard always coming up when leaving home ? - and over when you arrive at work ?
Could be a trick to test your determination to get to work. :shock:
Could also be a stunt to keep you alert and awake on the way to a nice day on the job. :D
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389