Xantia blower motor with a mind of its own!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia troubles

Xantia blower motor with a mind of its own!

Post by Xantia troubles »

Hi,
I have a problem with another 95 Xantia!
This one, which doesnt have aircon, has a blower motor that periodically works (about once in twenty times) when you turn the ignition on, but as soon as you start the car, it stops, and no amount of swearing, switch fiddling will coax it back into life!
Any bright ideas?
Thanks
Jonathan
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check to see if you have voltage across the motor connections, thick red and black wires, if you do but the motor doesn't run, its quite likely to be the control transistors on the blower motor (replacement type No at bottom of my signature) If there is no voltage check fuses for voltage and bad connections.
Decca
My Cars:

Post by Decca »

As Peter suggested check the power feed. But also check that the voltage is constant when the car is started ( Voltage will obviously drop when starter motor is engaged ) but if voltage is ok then fault is in motor assembly.
Power transistor could be the culprit. Check the motor armature commutator is clean ( can be cleaned gently with fine emery paper ) and check the brushes are not worn and they have sufficient spring pressure to hold them against the commutator. Take care handling armature that you dont damage any of the windings

While you have the fan motor out...Small drops of sewing machine type oil on the felts that surround the sintered bearings will extend fan life

Decca
405SRi, 306XT, 406HDi
Past: 403, 504GL, R12GL, 406ST
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Gents he states the car does not have aircon so will have the resistors not transistor speed control.

It is most likely to be the ignition switch at fault. try wiggling the key a little and see if the fan starts. You will need to test for supply on the fan fuse. Not sure which it is off hand but there is a good write up in another thread on here showing the wiring drawing. I am sure the fuse is after the ignition switch so start testing for voltage on the blower fan fuse first.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

First step, as above, check voltage into the motor.
The blower motor current is too high for the ignition switch.
There is a modification with a relay to operate the motor:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17322
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389