a couple of issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

a couple of issues

Post by mezuk04 »

just a couple of queries. it's mezuk04's bro in law. i can hear a sound coming from underneath the bonnet, not all the time but sometimes when i stop or start a bit like a sloshing sound. don't know if this is an issue. secondly i checked my water level after the car was stood for 6 hours last week, but when i took the cap off water gushed out. i even let it hiss first for a bit. the water level seemed ok. my car is a zx td l reg 1.9.
lastly. when driving my guage sits at 80-90 degrees but i've noticed when stationary the guage goes up quite quickish. i have only been stuck i one jam and the fan cut in but it doesnt seem to give me long before the guage rises. out of the 6 cars i've had this is the first that does it so quick.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh dear! If you still have pressure in the system after the engine has cooled down, you have head gasket leakage. It doesn't necessarily mean its about to fail and its perfectly safe to drive until it starts blowing the coolant out of the header tank vent. Just keep an eye on your water level and temperature gauge. Gasket leakage in itself wont cause the engine to overheat but the subsequent loss of coolant will. It could go on for a long time yet :?