Slightly concerned.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Slightly concerned.....

Post by mezuk04 »

....Since the car is going at the end of this week.

Last night had a guy from Lincoln come and look at the car, we took the car out and he drove normally and the odd gear shift down into 4th at speed...certainly nothing out of the ordinary for me and for me to be concerned.

We then took the car to a local petrol garage for him to look at it under some light and while he was looking the car started to make a bit of a high pitched groan (dont we just love describing sounds)...this slightly concerned me and I tried to ignore it, he didnt say owt at least :D

Well the same noise this morning and this lunch time at work...you can obviously hear it easily enough straight from start up and i had the stereo off this afternoon and the noise increases as the revs do...no difference made by engaging and disengaging the clutch...popped bonnet up in the car park and (now im not great with cars remember!) but it seems to be coming from the new Cam Belt that was put on on the 7th Feb 06.....should i be worried and ring the bloke up or wait a few days to see or should i be very worried....I cant confirm for sure its the cam belt but it seems to be coming from that very position at the top (Also the cover has a viewable area in it but its always been like that
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Caveat emptor......take the money....... :-$ [-o<

But if he didn't hand the cash over then and there he probably heard it and he's not going to buy it anyway!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Maybe :P

But he knows that I still need the car until I get the lease car hopefully this week so it wasnt strictly for sale last night which he knew...he was merely passing by and asked if he could stop and see
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

did you have a new tentioner fitted at the same time,if so maybe they have over adjusted it
regards macolm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Just a cambelt and water pump to my knowledge...hes a Citroen Specalist and is alright and certainly does plenty of cambelts....did one for my Bro in Law before me without problems and Wilkobob's too :oops:
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Pop it back and let the technician have a listen to be on the safe side. Regards Peter
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It sometimes happens that new cambelts will touch the backplate at the cam cogg, because the backplate is ever so slightly bend. However its only possible to diagnose removing the upper belt cover.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Is it definitely a groan? Not a hollow high frequency drumming kind of sound?

I'm just wondering if it might be one of the timing belt covers that's come a little bit loose or is rubbing on something.

It may even a heat shield that's been displaced and is vibrating against something.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well thought I would get a second opinion from Wilkobob although the noise had pretty much gone after the run down the A1 and the noise certainly seems to point to the cam belt area, Mr Wilkobob seems to think it may be a bearing that may be on the way out in a pulley down in front of the belt cover
jcdel
My Cars:

groaning

Post by jcdel »

just done my auxiliary tensioner.It started groaning then disappearing then groaning/then louder/then burning smell/then boom it broke the drive belt(fan).When it first started,I thought alternator bearing. :?:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Hmm I assume that if it snaps when someone buys it hopefully this week its nowt to do with me and the guy will have to take it to the original garage since its only been coming onto 4 weeks now...i wont be driving it from this afternoon as my temporary lease car (toyota corolla 55' automatic has been delivered)