Garages in North Cornwall

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daveincornwall

Garages in North Cornwall

Post by daveincornwall »

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a garage in North Cornwall (Near Bodmin) that I can get my 97 Xantia serviced, and the rear spheres changed, without being ripped off?
I dont trust many garages after some very bad experiences!
Many thanks for your help in advance
Dave
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

When you say serviced what do you mean?

If you mean oil and filters, fuel filter, air filter and even the pollen filter why not do it yourself only costs about £30 in total inc. 5litres of oil

And the rear spheres, why not give them a go yourself :o and save a bit of money
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
daveincornwall

Post by daveincornwall »

I would try it myself, but I am new to all of this! To tell the truth, im not even sure what is fully involved in a service (Im only young!)

Im assuming I couldnt change the rear spheres without the use of a ramp, due to the safety implimentations? It sounds an easy job though - remove the old ones using some sort of wrench or something, then screw the new ones on, using some LHM to lubricate it - does that sound right?

Im assuming its the rear spheres anyway, as the car is very solid at the moment, and you can feel every bump in the road. Might i need to change all of the spheres?

As for the service, what is the usual? Oil change, Air Filter Change, oil filter change - where is the fuel filter? Could I do this with the help of a Haynes manual?

My father in law should be able to help me with this also, as he knows his way around cars, I just know Citroens are notoriously awkward! So if I do sound a right dumbass, dont worry, it wont just be me doing all the work!

Many thanks for your help everyone

Dave
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The service side is wee easy...Im 20 and can do it all myself now :)....now thats a thing in itself.

Me and my mate replaced the front and rear spheres on mine early February and we have never done spheres before, the front ones were dead easy however the rears were a bit of a sod.

We can give you some comprehensive information on how to do them and the service...out of interest, how old are you???
daveincornwall

Post by daveincornwall »

Hi,
Im 18. If you could send me any info it would be much appreciated!
Cheers
Dave
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I went to a garage in St Austell and they fitted a new rear spring to my Vauxhall Cresta in a couple of hours and only charged me £4.00..... but that was in 1958.
Gnerk
My Cars:

Post by Gnerk »

Check out the thread in 'Useful links'. Its just been started, but we are hoping to build up a list of garages that are felt to give a fair deal.

Sort of a reverse 'name and shame'... 8)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Im at work so can post :lol:

Right it may be worth doing a full service on the car so to speak as in all the filters, so lets start with the easiest.

1. Pollen Filter - This should be located underneath the front passenger footwell carpet area, it will be a rectangle shape with pointed ends, this cover that holds the filter in place will either be held in by 3 screws like mine or it will slide off like some on the forum, pull the old filter out and put the new one in.

2. Air Filter - In the engine bay the big box on the right but towards to centre of the engine, the top is held on with 4 screws at each corner, undo these, pull out the old filter and simply put the new one in and put the casing back on with screws.

3. Fuel Filter - The small round bell type container in the middle of the engine, the top is held on with 4 bolts (guys: are these hex bolts, i dont know the technical name, but their not normal screwdriver heads anyway), undo these by opposing corners and take the filter out, and plop in the new one....Now the reason why I say plop is because it will be full of fuel, this is why their should be a small clear plastic pipe coming out the front in order for you to drain this (i drained 1000miles ago but for all the messing about it was easier just to keep the fuel in its place and let the new one soak it up, although this defeats the point of putting in a fuel filter :))....Now i know people on here prime the bulb or something like that but ive serviced the car about 5 times now and I never have, also the exact same on the ZX straight diesel i never bothered to prime it and its never done anything bad on me so i continue not to prime the bulb or whatever the guys do when they have changed the filter.....then replace the top of the housing...making sure you do all 4 bolts half way and then tighten up the opposing corners to make sure its sealed tight.

4. Oil Filter and Oil - Make sure the engine has run in order for the oil to be runnier for it to push out the crap at the bottom of the sump when you come to drain it. So underneath the car find the big sump and undo the bolt either will an adjustable spanner or a HEX key (is it this one again im unsure about tool names) and let the oil drain, oh you will need a fair sized tub/bucket. While that is draining you can then start to remove the oil filter...this is a round object located near the radiator at the front usually coloured white and i would expect it to be a bit oily to :lol: ......unscrew this (you may need a wrench or some slim strong hands, careful not to burn yourself on the very warm radiator)...access is a bit tight on my Xantia 96' SX with A/C but i find removing it from underneath the easiest with a wrench firstly as i aint strong strong and then my hands afterwards since they are small....oil will drip so this is point where you want to bring your bucket towards the other side of the sump to collect this dripping oil and some rags would help.
Now with the clean oil put a bit on your finger and rub it round the rubber seal of the new oil filter and basically screw the new one in the old ones place, it only needs to be hand tight and then put in the sump plug (buy a new copper sump washer too) and tighten....Now remove the oil dip stick unit (the whole top assembly bit) i use my fingers on the sticky pointy Up things at the top to spin it round and then pour your new oil in....I cant say how much it needs as by memory i have a rough estimate i put in from the tub...but its about 4 1/4 litres ish if i remember correctly....well anyway if your unsure thats what the dipstick is there for.

Do the service first and then come back regarding the spheres....im tired now :cry: ...any problems just post and theres usually someone hanging about :) . Anything your unclear about just ask, my explanations can get a bit 'much' I know.

Remember the car needs to be supported, i put the front end on car ramps and set it to min height, then i know exactly how much room i have to play with
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Hope this comes out clear......and hopefully its of some use