seized height corrector ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

talisker

seized height corrector ?

Post by talisker »

after working on my 96td xantia today i had the suspension on high but when i dropped it down it wouldn't come back up, so i got some lube on the height corrector linkage (the plastic ball joint appears to be ok) and worked it with the pliers but now its stuck on its highest setting, if i pull the lever back with the pliers i can get the back end to drop down but as soon as i let go it rises to its max setting again, also i need to use the car tomorrow am i likely to damage it driving it like this or will i just lose a few of my fillings :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have given it a good soaking with WD40 or oil, it will quite likely free of when you drive it, unless you have bent something. Try driving it round the block before you leave. You can drive it with the suspension up at the back, although it wont be very comfortable! The front is a different matter as the drive shaft boots wouldn't last long, but I take it thats OK.
talisker

Post by talisker »

ive tried taking off the rod that comes from the height adjuster inside the car, and i can move the lever with some pliers and adjust the suspension up and down but if i let the height corrector lever sit with out any pressure on it the car rises to the max, i've given it another spray of wd40 and will have another look at it in the morning, it's my own fault i was bragging at work the other day about how my car never goes wrong :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though something has upset the original setting, could still just be sticking or could be that something is bent. The only sure way to correct it is to adjust the height by slackening the clamp around the anti roll bar and rotating it one way or the other with the height setting rod disconnected. Dont do this without plenty of clearance under the car or you will have it down on top of you!
talisker

Post by talisker »

good idea never thought of that, maybe i've moved the clamp when i've been trying to free off the corrector, you are right you can't be to careful messing about with the suspension on a hydro cit they are very unpredictable :)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Citroen suspension isn't generally unpredictable but the cars are heavy. The problem is that if you give it an instruction - like adjusting the height corrector - then it will drop - if that's what you've adjusted it to do. there is in fact a built in delay in the operation of the height correctors - which probably makes it worse.

If you open a pipe for example between the height corrector and the rear suspension cylinder (which can mean a brake pipe as well) the back suspension will collapse rapidly.

Recently a memmber of an Australian Citroen board was killed when his car fell on him.

Treat it with caution and you'll be Ok. I always try and have a back up support in case the worst does happen - like a wheel ramp under the sill or something - I'd rather be alive and cursing a bent sill . . .
jeremy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

jeremy wrote:I'd rather be alive and cursing a bent sill . . .
Very good advice Jeremy. Lets hope his tragic death teaches us all a good lesson.
Please work safely my friends.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

BonceChops wrote:
jeremy wrote:I'd rather be alive and cursing a bent sill . . .
Very good advice Jeremy. Lets hope his tragic death teaches us all a good lesson.
Please work safely my friends.
While I'm all for safety warnings about working under hydraulic Citroen's, (it *IS* dangerous without supports) there has been no confirmation in this particular incident that the person involved was working under the car relying only on the suspension.

In fact from the following post by "dogboy" on Aussiefrogs it appears he may have indeed had support stands under the car which gave way or fell over: (something that could happen with any car...)

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showth ... 806&page=3

Without hard facts lets try not to speculate too much as to exactly what happened... :(

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
talisker

Post by talisker »

ok here's an update the linkage and all rods are free, so i suspect that the corrector is at fault, i'm not sure how easy it should be to move the height corrector i can move it with pliers although it does take a bit of an effort and can get the car to go up or down but if i let the corrector sit were it wants to with no pressure on the lever it rises to it's max setting, iv'e given the lever that connects to corrector a good tug and now the car is sitting on the floor and refuses to come back up, i've heard about people servicing correctors but do you know if it's possible in situ as some of the pipes don't look like they are going to come undone, ive also managed to bend the pin on the lever that conects it to the corrector :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its unlikly that its your H/C at fault as they very seldom give trouble,i would sudgest you have bent something,also your unlikly to move the adjustment without loosening the pinch clamp first,but if you are going to dismantle it its best to remove it and 99% of the time they just need a good clean in petrol whilst it is in bits,they are very simple in side
regardas malcolm
talisker

Post by talisker »

the thing is i don't realy have the gear or the time at the moment to get it sorted so i'm taking it to a garage tomorrow for them to have a look, they have qouted me £95.00 plus vat if it does need replacing which seems cheap as the part from andy spares is 85.00 plus vat.