changing car- insurance question, also tax/mot

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

changing car- insurance question, also tax/mot

Post by deian »

how easy is this? Ok here's a scenario:
I have a policy with the AA (fortis), and i'm gonna buy a new car, not sure which car i will buy, i finally decide to buy one say 250miles away, is it possible to call the AA, give my policy number and say, can you change the car to this "now"?? what happens then... do they say yes sure, it will be £40 more (or no difference) a year and will require a deposit of whatever now (plus admin fee or whatever else u got). Is it that easy? Can you actually just call and change, and drive ur new car? I should add that i pay by instalments and i'm probably around month 7.

So any stories? Advice?... oh and is it ok to drive without tax if my intentions are to tax it as soon as possible when i get home? provided i have MOT and insurance and valid driving licence?

thanks
deian
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Why not ask the AA - who knows - they like many others may have come across people buying new cars before.

This sort of thing probably varies between companies and many have become rather less generous in recent times.
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Yes, just phone and ask!!

Its unlikely they'll charge if they want your business, and its a pretty competitive area now- there are loads of insurance companies getting in on the act, even Tesco!

Does it matter anyway? If your'e paying by instalments and they want to charge you to change car,just stop paying and shop somewhere else.

You can only legally drive an untaxed car on the road to and from a prebooked MOT.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Last time I changed car I needed a cover note for the new car in advance, rang the insurance company who said "no problem, and we will cover both cars for a week in case you have a problem". We even got a £40 refund because the new car was a lower group.

Much better than getting pinged by ANPR and fined for no insurance.
oh and is it ok to drive without tax
NO!

Someone on another forum has just been fined for driving without tax. They also fined him for failing to renew his tax and for failing to display a tax disc. About £300 in all including the back tax. :shock:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If you know for sure you will be having a particular car you can ring them up before hand asking for the new car to be put on your insurance from a certain date and time that way its all done ready for when you pick it up OR you can just ring them on the day to swap it over (hopefully your not in a queue for an hour :roll:)

Some companies will charge for putting another car on the insurance or changing policys before the yearly term is up however at 20 to go from the ZX to the Xantia it cost about £17 to switch cars before the term was finished.

If your paying monthly then I cant see the figure being increased too much unless your changing from a ZX to a Aston Martin Vanquish :shock:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
deian

Post by deian »

Changing from a M reg Peugeot 106 1.4d to a nice Xantia TD, best one i can get, (best being T reg (ish) 2.0Hdi 110 Exclusive).