ABS Mot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

ABS Mot

Post by Ross »

MOT again and the light on the dash will not extinguish - I have the multi pin numbers to check for low readings this pm but (hopefully) is there anything obvious and less expensive than the sensors which are likely to cause the problem £60+ plus seems an awful lot of money for what has been described as a "Coil of Copper Wire" VSX 19TD 120K
Thanks
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Is the ABS working?

If so, maybe just pull the bulb before the MoT :P Naughty I know, but why miss out on your MoT for a simple electrical gremlin?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Stevie - how would you feel if your nearest and dearest were seriously injured by a car skiddding into them - and the accident would have been avoided had the ABS been working. These devices are not fitted for fun!

I am also aware of the argument that goes that a skilled driver can do as well as ABS under some circumstances - and you will know that answer to that is - how many skilled drivers are there on the roads.
jeremy
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

On the skilled driver outstopping an ABS car in certain situations issue.

On the older ABS systems I reckon this could be possible.

With the newer generation of hybrid ABS systems then the ABS is gonna beat the skilled driver every time.

The 405 I used to own had Bosch 2E ABS with vent disc on the front & solid discs on the back, A good braking system & the ABS was good in the wet but useless & dangerous in the snow.

The 206 I now drive has front discs & rear drums with ABS / EBD & EBA.
The ABS is good, The EBD is also good because it mean there's no rear brake compensator valve to seize up, Its now electronic & part of the ABS unit & the EBA when activated is fanbloodytastic.

If you haven't experienced EBA before you will get a shock at how quick it will stop the car, I cant see ANY skilled driver beating it.
Also I found surprising the ABS system on my 206 didn't mind the snow, It worked flawlessly unlike the 405s system that was totally useless & just scared the s**t out of you in the snow so much so I used to disconnect it.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If so, maybe just pull the bulb before the MoT
Do that and it'll fail- the MOT tests the operation of the a.b.s. warning system i.e. the bulb, but not the actual operation of the a.b.s. system itself- its one of those odd MOT anomolies....... :roll:
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

jeremy wrote:Stevie - how would you feel if your nearest and dearest were seriously injured by a car skiddding into them - and the accident would have been avoided had the ABS been working. These devices are not fitted for fun!
I was assuming the light was misdiagnosing a fault that is known not to exist, which is what I assumed Ross's problem was.

Having said that any driver that drives on the assumption that the ABS on the car will get him/her out of bother is a menace on the roads. Nobody should be driving under the belief that the ABS allows them to drive any differently. Any model of car that has ABS fitted where there are lower spec'd versions (with the same power etc) don't, should be perfectly safe without it.

Regardless!!!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: ABS Mot

Post by Mandrake »

Ross wrote:MOT again and the light on the dash will not extinguish - I have the multi pin numbers to check for low readings this pm but (hopefully) is there anything obvious and less expensive than the sensors which are likely to cause the problem £60+ plus seems an awful lot of money for what has been described as a "Coil of Copper Wire" VSX 19TD 120K
Thanks
Less expensive ? Such as ? Certainly not the ABS computer, which is likely to be much MORE expensive than the sensors.

Lets see what you have on ABS that could cause a fault:

* ABS computer - very expensive, also very unlikely to fail
* Hydraulic electovalve block - very expensive, also very unlikely to fail
* Wheel sensors - moderately expensive, more likely to fail
* Cabling to wheel sensors - part belonging to the sensor, part to the wiring loom in the car - very likely to fail.

Measure the sensors from the plug first, and then take it from there.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

OR..... if its anything like my car the fault appears to a wiring fault in the harness somewhere as all the above have been renewed.

Plus my car PASSED the mot with the abs warning lamp NOT working at all just last week. :wink:
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jeremy wrote:Stevie - how would you feel if your nearest and dearest were seriously injured by a car skiddding into them - and the accident would have been avoided had the ABS been working. These devices are not fitted for fun!

I am also aware of the argument that goes that a skilled driver can do as well as ABS under some circumstances - and you will know that answer to that is - how many skilled drivers are there on the roads.
on an MOT test the ABS light has got to come on when ignition is switched on and it must go out in so many seconds after that,othewise it will fail the test,if you can find where the sensor wire has fractured you can repaire it,it usualy breaks where it is being flexsd on the rear arm pivot point,and on the front where it is flexed around the front strut as you turn the steering
regards malcolm

ps.sorry i ment to quote the post above the one that i did
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Plus my car PASSED the mot with the abs warning lamp NOT working at all just last week
Its nice to have the certificate, but really you should be reporting them to VOSA - after all, if they missed the fact that your car has abs, what else have they missed?:Brake hoses about to give way? :shock: Ball joints about to part company?? :shock: :shock:

Shop them!! For the sake of your own safety and everyone elses!!
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Yes you are correct,I should shop the mot station.I'm just glad after spending a lot of money on the car to get it mot'able (I know abs not working is a failure),that the car went through.
I bet i could take the car to several mot stations anywhere in the country and some would pass the car some may not.Who am I to judge them,they gained the necessary skills/certs to the job.
I shall be spending more time on the car soon to get the sodding abs working,just means I got to rip half of the car apart to trace the sodding wiring.
Just to let you know 'citronut' the abs sensors are ok.readings at abs ecu plug are within operating parameters.

Sorry Ross to hijack your thread.

Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

no probs Stevie - its good to see the amount of input into this thread - I can see both sides we all want the MOT and we all want a safe car - I just hope when I start this weekend it will be "Oh a broken wire - thats fixed" we will have to see but I bet it ain't and I bet it rains etc etc but i must say the old girl has been a good buy and since the rear spheres have been renewed the ride makes it all worthwhile - happy days - just a small light to sort out lol
thanks to all for the comments
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I bet we'll get some sunshine this weekend and you then finally find the broken wire 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hope you find the cause of you abs problem Ross.One other thing I found that may or maynot help(or something minor to think about),the abs relay.
This is a dark green,6 pin relay.It has a built in diode which may have gone open circuit.I also found that there is at least two types of these relay's.I found this out by purchasing another abs relay which turned out to be the the wrong relay(was not the same as the original.....assuming the original was the correct one in the first place).
Just beware eh.. :wink:

If you ever get hold of the proper wiring diagram for your vehicle,I'd wouldn't mind a copy if ever that would be possible.I've got bits and pieces of two or three vehicle wiring diagams some useful some not.
All the best Ross.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

steviewonder7 wrote:Yes you are correct,I should shop the mot station.I'm just glad after spending a lot of money on the car to get it mot'able (I know abs not working is a failure),that the car went through.
I bet i could take the car to several mot stations anywhere in the country and some would pass the car some may not.Who am I to judge them,they gained the necessary skills/certs to the job.
I shall be spending more time on the car soon to get the sodding abs working,just means I got to rip half of the car apart to trace the sodding wiring.
Just to let you know 'citronut' the abs sensors are ok.readings at abs ecu plug are within operating parameters.

Sorry Ross to hijack your thread.
steviewonder! i was not postting a quote to one of your posts,it was a quote to one of steviebs post refering to ripping the ABS warning lamp bulb out
regards malcolm