Xantia question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

Xantia question

Post by fangy »

Hi, I've not long bought a 95 Xantia 19TD, recently I've noticed the rear window heater and the heater blower stops working when the engine is started. I've looked around and seen this is quite a common fault, do I need to replace the ignition barrel or is there a fix for this.
Any help would be great,
Thanks,
Fangy.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, I believe the ingnition switch is the usual cause of the problem, I am sure someone will confirm that (or correct me).
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The current for the blower motor is too high for the ignition switch.
There's a modification to operate the blower from another wire with a relay:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17322
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
fangy

Post by fangy »

Could you tell me what kind of relay I'd need to use for this? Also there's an address to http://www.geocities.com/tricky992002/fanmod.xls that says it's for a diagram and explanation, but the address is no longer there, does anybody have a copy of this?
Thanks,
Fangy.
fangy

Post by fangy »

Could anybody tell me how to open a xls file?
Fangy.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

fangy wrote:Could anybody tell me how to open a xls file?
Fangy.
Its a Windows Excell (spreadsheet) file ...
A bit odd doing a schematic file in xls format :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks, got the XLS working. Does this fix work ok? I saw another fix that looks similar, http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9907 ... 7bb.th.gif , Is any one a better soloution than the other.
Thanks,
Fangy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

fangy wrote:Thanks, got the XLS working. Does this fix work ok? I saw another fix that looks similar, http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9907 ... 7bb.th.gif , Is any one a better soloution than the other.
Thanks,
Fangy
There is no relay in that ref. This is the standard schematic for the Xantia blower fan set-up as found in Haynes.
The schematic however is perfect for finding the cable references for the Clogzz modification.
And thats whats it all about - as the other schematic shown next to it - is the same with the modification added.

If you are not familiar with car electrics & relays you better seek assistance. 12V installations in cars are not lethal - but they are highly prone to catch fire if you do things wrong.
fangy

Post by fangy »

Put the wrong link http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=schema29mf.gif , the xls file by RichardW, shows the relay wired inbetween the brown connector at the ignition with no fuse and looks quite an easy job, Clogzz diagram shows a different way, is either way a good fix?
Fangy.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Neither schematic is "the better" solution ???

Its all the same case mate - drawn in different ways - as it brings a solution to the same problem :?

I'm no longer sure you understand what this is all about ? :

You have a problem with missing +12V power to blower fan and rear demister. This is wellknown from many owners to be caused by a burnt contact set in the ignition key switch.
To avoid forking out the rather big money for a new ignition key barrell and possible new door locks (to have same key again all over) - this modification came up as a cheap and very well functioning solution.
The solution is simply to let one of the remaining good funtioning contact sets in the ignition key switch control a relay - and then in turn let the relay's working contact set take the place of the burnt contact set in the ignition key.

Its indeed a very simple modification. But it is not a factory modification - if thats what you are looking after. Its one of those wellknown DIY bodges to make things work in a car - saving money - to say it straight.
But is a well thought and sane modification.

I believe you can find even more schematics on this same issue on the web. You may even find my old timer description of the mod (no schematic). Its all the same as it does the same : using a relay to replace a bad ignition switch contact set.
fangy

Post by fangy »

I understand fully what this repair is about, my question comes down to, do I need to wire an inline fuse in with the relay ( as in Clogzz diagram) or is it ok to wire the relay without putting in a fuse as in RichardW's diagram?
Fangy.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Fuse as pr Clogzz, not needed as pr RichardW.
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for your help, just trying to keep the job as simple as possible.
Fangy.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

In this topic, Richard talks fusing:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17951

The map that I have posted shows a fuse because when you tap into the unfused wire that goes to the ignition switch, the added fuse replaces the original 30A fuse which no longer feeds the blower motor.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks, that explains everything.
Fangy.