Sticky Clutch on Xsara Series 1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TroyO
My Cars:

Sticky Clutch on Xsara Series 1

Post by TroyO »

Hello All,
I was wondering if any of you have heard of any problems with the clutch action getting sticky on series 1 Xsara's. This seems to be a problem with my dad's car, particular when the car is warmed up, and makes gear changes more jerky. It had the clutch cable replaced a while ago, and this eleviated the problem somewhat, but it is getting worse again. This particular car is a 2000 model 1.8 16V, right hand drive. The car only has about 19000k's on the clock. Could it be a common problem with this model?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Troy.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

If you have had the clutch cable replaced, the dealer would probably suggest clutch replacement. From what I have read elsewhere, it may work, although I have taken another course of action myself.
I found a large washer, about the size of a £2 coin with a hole nearly the size of a 5p piece. I cut a slot in it, then placed it between the rubber of the clutch cable beyond the clutch lever (gearbox end). This had the effect of shortening the clutch cable and therefore when I put my foot on the clutch the friction plates will be moved further apart.
The car has a self adjusting cable, but it doesn't seem to have readjusted for this modification and a month later it is still better.
Ben