Clutch Pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tanto
My Cars:

Clutch Pedal

Post by tanto »

hi guys

i have just done the dreaded platic clip on the clutch pedal and now the pedal is quite high it wasn't this way before the other clip broke
any ideas what has caused this

thanks
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Is the cable seated properly at the gearbox end. You can usually adjust the pedal position by adjusting the cable at the gearbox end.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

the cable seems to be seated fine the pedal was fine before the new clip its just high now and cant find any reason for it
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The only suggestion I can make is that on some of the CXs there was an "upper" stop on the brake pedal that had the habit of getting broken off. It left the driver with the ability to almost knock their ftont teeth out with their knees when they went for the clutch in an emergency.
IIRC, it included a rubber bung affair in it.
I wonder if yours is the same and it's dropped off in the fitting without you noticing???

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The pedal should be quite high if adjusted properly - travel should be 140mm, which makes it a good bit higher than the brake pedal. It may be that it was not adjusted properly before.

Is it a manual or auto adjust cable? It may be that you have got the spring on the pedal wrong - if it's manual, the spring should push the pedal down (and is a right arse to get on :twisted: ), if it's an auto adjust it should lift the pedal up (and I believe is easier to fit).

If it's an auto adjust, push it to the floor then slide your foot off it and let it bang up, this should take up the adjustment on the cable.
Richard W
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

hi richardw

it is a manual adjust type i think you may be right about the adjustment
i tried adjusting it so that it was about same height as brake pedal but it would not disengage the clutch so i kept adjusting it until it did disengage the clutch it is now about an inch or so above brake pedal height and seems to be working properly i will check the pedal travel distance in the morning but i suspect it may be about right
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v