Xsara 2.0 HDI 90... turbo or not?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Xsara 2.0 HDI 90... turbo or not?

Post by deian »

Hi folks,

54MPG!! That is impressive, but does it have a turbo?

thanks
deian
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

All HDi engines are turbocharged.
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

90 bhp ones are turbo but no intercooler
110 bhp ones have intercooler and can be chipped to ~130bhp

The 110bhp ones are supposed to be slightly more economical then the 90's ones, but only available in the uglier hase II models.

Mines supposed to have a 54mpg combined according to Parkers website, but its winter ambient and heavy conjestion on the motorway at the moment....so mine is returning 48.5 mpg

I bought mine because it was cheap / doesn't turn heads / ecomonical , but rapid :-)
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've also thought the mk II was a much better looking car....
98 Xantia 2.1TD Estate 140,000mls
01 Xsara HDI, 130,000mls
97 Xantia TD, 240,000mls (died in france)
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

mipster wrote:I've also thought the mk II was a much better looking car....

Mark one better all the time , cant stand the headlamps on mark 2
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
deian

Post by deian »

i'm not keen on the headlights of the mark2 either, although if a HDi comes up i'd get one, and 48.5 MPG is still pretty good!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The HDI 90 bhp version can be chipped too :wink:

Should be able to get it up to around 110 bhp ish with a chip.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

be carefull with chips in ecu's on hdi's had one in that kept putting engine light on for know reason customer did not know that it had been done,took ages to find out why biggest load of crap i have ever seen,got thrown in the bin !!! want a 110 hp by one with a 110 from factory and not convert a 90!! i await reply from all you people who have now had it done with no problems but word of warning if your car starts messing around take it off first and try it could save you a lot of money in the dealer!!
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

pugxpert wrote:be carefull with chips in ecu's on hdi's had one in that kept putting engine light on for know reason customer did not know that it had been done,took ages to find out why biggest load of crap i have ever seen,got thrown in the bin !!! want a 110 hp by one with a 110 from factory and not convert a 90!! i await reply from all you people who have now had it done with no problems but word of warning if your car starts messing around take it off first and try it could save you a lot of money in the dealer!!
I'd prefer a proper 110 over a chipped 90. The software is not the only difference, the two engines are NOT identical.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

pugxpert wrote:be carefull with chips in ecu's on hdi's had one in that kept putting engine light on for know reason customer did not know that it had been done,took ages to find out why biggest load of crap i have ever seen,got thrown in the bin !!! want a 110 hp by one with a 110 from factory and not convert a 90!! i await reply from all you people who have now had it done with no problems but word of warning if your car starts messing around take it off first and try it could save you a lot of money in the dealer!!
Also You need to inform insurance company that your car has been modified , because if you dont and have a crash , insurance company investigates amd sees a balck box connected to engine insurance is invalid.
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

I think the technology has moved on from black boxes and soldering in new ECUs. These days a geezer comes and hooks his laptop to your ODBII port and just reflashes the ROM on the ECU.

However I'm sure the insurance have equally got new ways of telling whether the mapping is not 'standard'.

My 110- SX is pretty quick in standard guise. I've seen offers of around £180 quid for a re-flash, but when you know its just a fee for a bloke to turn up in a car and spend 10 mins plugged into yours, then it seems like a rip-off. I'm sure big profits are being made here, but its all about what people are prepared to pay.....I just can't find a spare £180quid right now.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

after the man in the van reflashes your ecu it changes the id no's in ecu you may then have a problem, your dealer or garage man with scan tool will not recognise ecu and will not be able to communicate with it,also engine ecu does not just controll the engine it will run a/c ,cooling fans and send and receive information on can bus for esp electric pas,autobox ,interior networks so make sure he knows what he's doing!! :wink:
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
deian

Post by deian »

on some cars u just open the ecu up, take the chip out, and put the new one in. thats what u can do on the bmw's, so simple. why the hire someone to do it when a little homework on the internet can save u loads, not being specific on techniques here, but if u know enough to 'want' to chip ur car surely u can find a way to do it uself. better to get a new chip than flash an original one, at least u got a backup then
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

deian wrote: if u know enough to 'want' to chip ur car surely u can find a way to do it uself.
I believe the words you are looking for are YOU, YOUR and YOURSELF.

There's no character limit here.

The days of being able to remove the eeprom chip in an engine ECU and simply changing it for another are long gone. Boosting the power of an HDi engine is a matter of choice. A plug in box will not be as good as a full re-program, but is probably cheaper, and is removeable. A full re-program will give better results, but the moment the car is plugged in at the dealers, and they update the software... all gone, and you've wasted howevermany hundred pounds.
This is not a signature.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Yesterday I was told by a Bosch Authorised repairer that they stopped doing remaps as they alter boost pressures, fuel pressure and fuel quantity etc. They only recommend boxes which only affect volume of fuel and not boost or fuel pressure.

Ben