Citroebics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Citroebics

Post by mcgregor »

Maybe someone can tell me if I have a problem here or not, and if so what is the cure?
When performing “Citroebics” on my Xantia the car goes up and down no problem and if you return it to normal height from high again no problem. However if you try to go to normal height from the lowest position the front is fine but the back simply refuses to rise untill you put the lever to highest position and then back to normal.
Cheers
Dave
Xantia troubles

Post by Xantia troubles »

Hi,
Funnily enough I had a very similar thing with mine only yesterday!
Probably, its the rear height corrector, which given a dose of wd 40 on the moving linkage parts, will free off!
thats what it was on mine anyway!
Hope this helps
Jonathan
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would have said the same.
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks guys.
The only thing is the rear height corrector was replaced just before christmas I doubt it would have seized up as quickly as that. Plus as I say the car runs at normal height and goes up and down no problem. The only problem being going from the lowest setting to normal the back just refuses to rise, but goes back down to normal from high.
Cheers
Dave
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Presumably the height rises once you start to move, if that is so it would still point to sticky corrector linkage, unless...there is a slotted link on the end of the rod that comes from the height control lever, in which case it needs adjusting. I say 'if' because mine is an XM and has one.
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

I've not tried moving with the back at low, but I have left it idling for a awful long time to see if it rises to no avail, but as soon as I put the lever to high up she goes.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Dave - I have the exact same problem with mine, however if i leave it long enough it will decide to rise to normal from the lowest setting, may take up to a minute if not a little more although sometimes it responds if i plonk myself in the car (im not very heavy so sometimes it doesnt work :cry: )

Cant say it bothers me personally and it doesnt seem to affect anything just the case of wasting a minute of my life every now and then :lol:

Although I'm hoping a clever person doesnt come along and tell me different :roll:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks for the replies lads. I have left the car idling for a lot more than a minute possibly as much as five on occasions and still no rise. Hopefully its is nothing to worry about. I just wondered if the guys who know about these things had any ideas on the subject.
Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The fact that when agitated - by for example driving the car definitely points to the height corrector linkage being seized. In fact the correctors are very reliable - what was wrong with yours to warrant replacement?

My guess is that the linkage has been partially seized all along.
jeremy
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Mine does exactly this occasionally.

i remember reading if you have your handbrake on, this phenomena may occur, so i tired the technique, from low to high with the handbrake released and sure enough it does appear to work. What the h/brake has to do with rear suspension i don’t know, but it may be worth a go, maybe with someone in the car incase the car goes walkies, or park with wheels facing pavement.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Peter.N. wrote:Presumably the height rises once you start to move, if that is so it would still point to sticky corrector linkage, unless...there is a slotted link on the end of the rod that comes from the height control lever, in which case it needs adjusting. I say 'if' because mine is an XM and has one.
Yes,

The Xantia has the slotted linkage from the height control lever too. The correct adjustment is to have the height lever at normal, wait until the car is stabalized at normal height, then loosen the clamp on the manual control rod and slide as necessary so the peg is in the middle of the slot then tighten again.

Citroen recommend a "special" tool for this job, but you can simply look at the slot and do it visually :wink:

All the normal cavets about supporting the car on ramps etc apply, especially since you're fiddling with the height corrector linkages...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Hi
I tried the same thing with the handbrake off and no it still refuses to go back to normal height from low at the back. However if I put it in the intermediate high position even for a few seconds it rises quickly, and when put back to normal position lowers itself to normal ride height no problem. Doh!!
Dave
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Mine is doing this after I rebuilt height corrector recently, agree with Mandrake, I am going to re set my rear ride height slightly, as with car fully down at back, I dont think the height correector is getting quite a strong enough 'signal' to rise ....

In fact, even when it is at normal level, it feels a little low at back and headlights are quite high, it wasnt like this before the corrector rebuild..

will just add 2-5 cms height at back :)

John