?auxillery drive cable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drewmunn

?auxillery drive cable?

Post by drewmunn »

from what many of you have said the squealling noise i "sometimes" get when starting off in low gear may be related to the tension or wearing of the above. Can i confirm as i cannot find a mention of one in the Haynes, that this is what is known i many other cars as the fan belt? Or am i way off?

Also any idea how much it costs to buy an new one.

My local citroen dealer quoted me 20quid inc fitting - have they got it wrong, seems cheap or is it very easy to fit?

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No, its an auxilluary drive belt, and yes, its the equivelent of what we used to know as the fan belt. The problem is probably the same as with fan belts, it wants tightening up. No, its not to difficult to fit, £20.00 sounds about right if its an honest garage.
drewmunn

Post by drewmunn »

so the increase in noise doesnt necessarily mean its going to go on me before i can get time to fix it?

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its only the screeching noise you mentioned, thats because belt isn't sufficiently tight to stop it slipping when the alternator load is high i.e. when you have just started the engine and the voltage has dropped. The output of the alternator can go up to 50 or 60 amps which can take up to a horsepower, but only until it has pulled the battery voltage back up so that it has recovered from the heavy load of the starter. so, the noise is just the belt skidding, tighten the belt and it should stop. Unless the belt is obviously damaged or badly worn, it should be OK. Belts are much stronger than they used to be!
drewmunn

Post by drewmunn »

the belt - the one that goes round lots of roller type things, about 1 inch or so in width - is a quite shiny but on the whole looks ok, no fraying or anything, so should it just need a tighten?

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tighten it up.
Then spray it with silicone spary - as used for door rubber seals etc.

Contrary to what most people thinks, this makes the rubber surface grip a lot better on steel surfaces.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
drewmunn

Post by drewmunn »

Thanks, got some silicone spray somewhere.

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)