Xantia: Petrol to LPG in 2.0 16v?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Xantia: Petrol to LPG in 2.0 16v?

Post by deian »

Anyone got any experience of this, I know Citroen did an LPG version of one of the newer xantia's, but has anyone done an aftermarket LPG job on the 2.0 engine? Can't think why not.

I think the idea is good, better economy than the diesels with 135bhp (quoted by parkers price guides). Ok so you may get less horsepower, and ok so LPG isn't as efficient as petrol, but it is cheaper, which makes the car in question more economical to run, and cleaner too.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but LPG has a RON of 100+?... which would mean a remap of the ECU would be needed?

Regards,
Deian
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the reason the conversion isn't popular is that few people are willing to spend more than the value of the car converting it - and you can buy a lot of petrol before you are likely to break even - even using converters claimed consumption figures.

It is of course made even less viable by the ready supply of excellent diesel engined cars.

I'd have thought it likely that you'd loose at least 10% of the claimed power which probably destroys most of the advantage over the 110 BHp HDi or 2.1. It may be more driveable but that's a matter of taste.

You then of course have all the problems of conversion - minor ones - like 'will it work properly or at all' - and 'will I like it after I've spent all that money' - as well as dealing with a tax regime that is committed to increasing the tax on the fuel anyway.
jeremy
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

We worked out the other day if you gas converted a BMW 3.2l E36 M3 and did about 10,000 miles a year it'd take something like 5 years to break evenish
deian

Post by deian »

so the conversion isn't worth the hassle then. i see ur point, still, it's an idea for the rich people.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you want economy go for the diesel and drive carefully, 40 - 50 mpg is attainable with reasonable restraint, that works out at less than 10p per mile
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

gas conversions are ok aslong as you put the mileage on, most modern system will mix the gas & fuel to give a almost seamless transition between the two & if you nail it, it'll switch back over to fuel.
A gas conversion suddenly makes that 5.9l V8 sound interesting! lol

Agree with the desiel option however if your like me you'll not want to go for the TD version as you'll find your be running it right in the powerband everywhere, will put a smile on your face but a hole in your wallet. lol
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

They only claim a small power loss and that may be true but my experience of a dual-fuel Astra was that driving on petrol was much easier going than LPG.

When it was on LPG it needed at least an extra 1000prm to get it moving and it sounded like a bucket of nails.
Eventually we broke the camshaft, I'm sure the extra revs shortened the engine life.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

LPG and CNG conversion of petrol engines used to be commonplace in New Zealand in the 70's and 80's due to the fuel crisis in the 70's and then the economy crashing in the 80's, but I think thats also due to the fact that there were hardly any diesel cars in NZ in those days, (diesel was seen soley as a fuel for trucks and buses) and what ones there were were smelly, noisy, gutless things to drive.

It took years for diesel engines to loose their bad reputation here, but nowadays diesels are becomming accepted, although still nowhere as near as common as the UK, and due to them being smooth, quiet, and not smelly, IMHO there is really no reason to go for a LPG or CNG conversion of a petrol engine when you can get a good turbo diesel.

Nowadays nobody I know is driving an LPG/CNG converted car as the numbers just don't add up....

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Mandrake wrote: Nowadays nobody I know is driving an LPG/CNG converted car as the numbers just don't add up....
In the UK the price of LPG is roughly half that of Diesel or Petrol. And if you drive in London there is the added benefit of not having to pay the (£6.50 a day?) congestion charge.

The fleet manager where I work was pushing for people to have LPG cars, I think she was after some green award.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

My mate Leo drives a Landrover 109 Stage 1 that has a gas conversion, its just about the only way he can justify owning it. (I'm sure he can think of some other reasons, but this is the only way he can afford to run it!). It may be 3.5 litres of V8 rumble, but its still only poking out 135 horses. But you can forgive that as it sounds sooooooo good. or it would if you could hear the engine of the transmission and tyre noise.......
French car free zone....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

20 years ago LPG was a big issue here in DK - as diesel cars were too expensive to justify economy.
I had an 1.0 Opel kadett (Vauxhall Chevette) with LPG conversion fitted. LPG was some 2/5 the cost of petrol /liter, which effectively was half price driving on the road. It was somewhat equalled by a higher road tax for LPG vehicles (same as for diesels).
Now there are only a handfull of gas stations with rusty LPG tanks left - probably empty and out of order.

LPG may become an issue again because of environment demands. But certainly I'd never believe there would be motoring savings in it ever again.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

in perspective yea... petrol here is about 92p, diesel about 96p and lpg about 40p, go firgure :P
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:in perspective yea... petrol here is about 92p, diesel about 96p and lpg about 40p, go firgure :P
What ?? Diesel costs you more than petrol ? :shock:

Here in NZ diesel is only about 2/3 of the cost of petrol, although diesel vehicles have to pay a seperate road tax (a certain amount per 1000Km) on top of that. Do you have to do the same ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Aye, diesel is currently always around 4p more expensive than petrol and has been since ive been driving diesels, say about a year and a half :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

I would'nt touch an aftermarket LPG with a bargepole. I had a friend who worked as an LPG installer and some of the horror stories he told me, and some of the things I saw (wiring cable tied to the coolant top hose anyone?) would put me off. If you want any of the gory details let me know.

The Vauxhall and Volvo manufacturer approved and warranted systems are the best if you must go for LPG