new guy :D : Xantia 1.9tdvsx hdi100 exclusive questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

Hi,

(i'm new here, so please excuse my ignorance if i repeat some questions already asked before, i'll try to be specific).

The story goes like this, I have a Pug 106 1.4d :wink: , not a bad car, old and tatty, but still a nice introduction to french motoring (and also thoroughly impressed with my cousins 306 rallye etc etc).

So I want a nicer car, my old car was BMW 325i (e30), so I like bigger cars, and obviously in this day and age I want something a little cheaper, so what better than a...(wait for it) Xantia!, I've quietly been a fan of it, as well as the 'different' (shall we say) suspension. Although never been in one. :cry:

Being a specific kind of guy, I've narrowed down my choices to the post 1995 1.9Td VSX (hydractive 2), or (if funds allow) a HDI 110 Exclusive, in black or if there is, a dark violet kind of colour.

I've done lots of research on the suspension, and facts and figures on the Xantia but I have more specific questions, so here goes (quick fire round):

1. Is the 2.1Td worth the extra costs for the power hike? my concerns are the 1.9td may be a little under powered, i did look at a zx 1.9td, but i want something different (hydractive) to fiddle around with in the summer if need be.

2. Do any of the pre HDI engine have intercoolers on them? I'm not into modifications, but they do help, if not, can one be put on?

3. Can anyone describe the feature of the hydractive suspension for me? What does it do, I know it uses air to spring and fluid to dampen as well as adjust the height using speheres and valves, but what about it's functions? what buttons do what, and how does it act accordingly?

4. I'm under the impression the Hydactive II is a misunderstood system (people don't like difference), but works well and isn't too hard to work on once understood. I know it's complex and computer controlled, but in theory what's it like to work on to keep the car working?

5. Oh and the headlight issues. Not heard good things about the dipped beam, or was this on the XM, can anyone shed some lights on that for me.

6. What about bodykits? Are they suitable for a XM? (you know, some cars wear bodykits well, some don't) I've seen one picture with a nice bodykit, nothing silly, just a subtle one, looked ok, I don't like silly ugly body kits.

7. Remapping the ECU on diesels make a difference to performance and make fuel economy better apparently, can anyone vouch for this?

8. Generally how much will i pay for a 1.9TD VSX (or a HDI 100 Exclusive), i don't really care much about the mileage as I'm a hands on kinda guy, if the car works well when i get it then i'll take the risk and have fun learning when things go wrong.

9. What will I get in the way of features on my choosen car (prob a VSX), i know the vsx comes with hydractive 2, but anythng else? leather, ac, cruise? trio computer, sunroof, etc etc,

10. Oh and thanks, no more questions at the moment

Thats is for now, I will continue investigating until I get some replies (I hope). And can I say, what a nice friendly board this is, keep up the good work.

Regards,
Deian
Last edited by deian on 26 Feb 2006, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Xantia exclusives are like rocking horse dung iv'e been after one for months and only ever seen two one in the auto trader which was gone in minutes and one on ebay last week.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4614730347

I'm after a W X or Y so didn't bid on this one i already have a 98 lx,In fact iv'e just about given up now and at the moment looking for a xsara or c5 HDI estate.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1) We dont speak power here in terms of screaming wheels with diesels. Its torque at low rpm which gives the wellknown diesel "floaty" driving. Nothing seems to slow down the car. Very relaxed driving.
The 2.1TD is reknown as a sturdy workhorse. More torque than the 1.9TD.

2) All TD's have intercooler.

3) Download this pdf : http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/guide.html

4) Like any Citroen hydropneumatic system - see above

5) Dont think thats an issue anymore. Latest generation bulbs solved this. But the Xantia headlights are notoriusly bad by design. Like the first Ford Mondeo's.

6) ?? if you want a street racer - you are in the wrong department of the shop with such a car.

7) As above. The standard setting of the ECU makes the most econnomical setup. If not the system needs a general service tuen up. There is no extra power for free money. Believe me mate !

8) Not familiar with UK price levels.

9) No leather, no cruise, no trip, no sunroof. But ew's, CL, VSX badge, Citroen feeling.

10) Happy shopping. BTW all Xantias have the HA2 system (except the very first basic models). If you are looking for the special system with active anti-roll system - this Xantia model is badged ACTIVA.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

there is 3x 1.9td vsx on autotrader now
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think most, if not all of your questions have been answered, just a comment regarding engines. The 1.9 td gives a good account of itself but the 2.1 is better, in fact I would say its the best version of the XUD engine made. You will find the fuel consumption about the same as the 1.9 but the power up substantially, about 20 bhp and 30 lbs/ft and it pulls very well at low revs, even before the turbo comes in. But, its a more complicated engine, having 12 valves and hydraulic tappets, and as they generally seem to need a head gasket at around 150k bear in mind its a more difficult job than the 1.9. So its really down to mileage or the gasket allready having been replaced.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: new guy :D : Xantia 1.9tdvsx hdi100 exclusive questions

Post by Homer »

deian wrote: 1. Is the 2.1Td worth the extra costs for the power hike?
Yes, but you will have to compromise on the colour since they were a bit of a stopgap model before the HDi came out. Also the HDi is avalable as a 90hp.
3. Can anyone describe the feature of the hydractive suspension for me? What does it do, I know it uses air to spring and fluid to dampen as well as adjust the height using speheres and valves, but what about it's functions? what buttons do what, and how does it act accordingly?
There is only one button and it does nothing .... unless you accelerate, brake or steer in which case it makes the extra sphere cut out earlier and gives a slight impression of extra sportyness. Once you get used to the car you won't need teh button because the standard setting firms things up soon enough.
4. I'm under the impression the Hydactive II is a misunderstood system (people don't like difference), but works well and isn't too hard to work on once understood. I know it's complex and computer controlled, but in theory what's it like to work on to keep the car working?
There is very little complex or mysterious about it. A lot of garages will have to believe otherwise though.
5. Oh and the headlight issues. Not heard good things about the dipped beam, or was this on the XM, can anyone shed some lights on that for me.
The reflectors on the MK1 do too god a job of aiming the light beam so you don't get much spread. Later ones (post facelift) are better. Sometimes switching the foglamps on is the only way to see where the edge of the road is in a MK1 Xantia.
6. I don't like silly ugly body kits.
Me niether. :wink:
9. What will I get in the way of features on my choosen car (prob a VSX), i know the vsx comes with hydractive 2, but anythng else? leather, ac, cruise? trio computer, sunroof, etc etc,
Its difficult to say, Citroen seemed to change the spec at random. Sunroof was dropped from the standard spec when aircon became standard.
in black or if there is, a dark violet kind of colour.
Good Xantias, well looked after are not too common. Don't restrict yourself by insisting on a certain colour. You won't even see it when you are driving. 8)
deian

Post by deian »

about the colour true, i won't be too fussy.

the 2.1 is a nice idea, but the insurance quote goes up a little over budget then, i may even look at the petrol 2.0 16v, or even the 1.8 16v, i'd assume both are quicker than the 1.9td (at the expense of fuel economy?). I just went out to see a few now, yesterday didn't spot any, today I spotted 4, weird. Anyway, one of them was an M reg 1.8 16v SX for £600, i think 126k on the clock, suspension raised some questions to me though, full height on the back, and at the ground on the front, surely this is wrong?

thanks for all your replies so far.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I will shortly be selling my VSX. MOT is up middle of next month so will be looking to sell it after that has been done.
Car is 1997, 2 litre, 16v VSX, P reg, Hydractive2, and air con (no sunshine roof ). Don`t know where you are, but if still looking in March, give me a shout. Pic of car is in link under this post.
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

deian wrote:Anyway, one of them was an M reg 1.8 16v SX for £600, i think 126k on the clock, suspension raised some questions to me though, full height on the back, and at the ground on the front, surely this is wrong?
The early models did not have antisink, but nor did they have 16v engines (apart from the early 150bhp 2.016v). Back end up, front down suggests a problem with the rear linkage, could be the good old plastic clip, could be more serious.

SX won't have hydractive, "just" hydropneumatic.

Insurance is likely to be more on the petrol models than the diesel.

1.8 is a bit on the small side (in my opinion) for the car so there is a good chance it will have been thrashed.

M reg sounds too early for the 1.8 16v engine but it could be just my dodgy memory.
deian

Post by deian »

it was an N reg :D won't be buying that one anyway, don't wanna be messing too much at start, thanks
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

AndersDK wrote:1) We dont speak power here in terms of screaming wheels with diesels. Its torque at low rpm which gives the wellknown diesel "floaty" driving. Nothing seems to slow down the car. Very relaxed driving.
The 2.1TD is reknown as a sturdy workhorse. More torque than the 1.9TD.

2) All TD's have intercooler.

3) Download this pdf : http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/guide.html

4) Like any Citroen hydropneumatic system - see above

5) Dont think thats an issue anymore. Latest generation bulbs solved this. But the Xantia headlights are notoriusly bad by design. Like the first Ford Mondeo's.

6) ?? if you want a street racer - you are in the wrong department of the shop with such a car.

7) As above. The standard setting of the ECU makes the most econnomical setup. If not the system needs a general service tuen up. There is no extra power for free money. Believe me mate !

8) Not familiar with UK price levels.

9) No leather, no cruise, no trip, no sunroof. But ew's, CL, VSX badge, Citroen feeling.

10) Happy shopping. BTW all Xantias have the HA2 system (except the very first basic models). If you are looking for the special system with active anti-roll system - this Xantia model is badged ACTIVA.

I don't think ALL TD's had Intercoolers (at least not in the UK)
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

[quote="den169"]Xantia exclusives are like rocking horse dung [quote]

Well I've got one \:D/ and it's black =P~
Last edited by bernie on 26 Feb 2006, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
3 Fiat 124 Sport 1969x2, 1968
2 Fiat 124 Spider 1976, 1971
1 Fiat 20VT Coupe Plus
BUT maybe moving to France
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote: 10) Happy shopping. BTW all Xantias have the HA2 system (except the very first basic models).
Maybe where you are, but not over here.

I looked at about 10 different cars (mostly online) while I was looking for mine, and my one was the *only* Hydractive 2 model of the bunch. Here only the VSX spec gets Hydractive 2, there are a much larger number of SX models around without it, and I think its similar in the UK...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Over here its only the VSX that gets the HydraActive, I have a P-Reg 96' SX but it doesnt have the HA
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: new guy :D : Xantia 1.9tdvsx hdi100 exclusive questions

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:I've quietly been a fan of it, as well as the 'different' (shall we say) suspension. Although never been in one. :cry:
Ok,

If you've never been in a Xantia, you wont know what to expect of the suspension when you're test driving ones for sale and may end up with one that is not working properly without realising.

(The ride is so good when working 100% that most people not familiar with Citroens would not notice something wrong until there was dramatic deterioration in the ride)

I would suggest that if you know somebody in your area with a well maintained HA2 VSX that you go for a drive with them - perhaps some kind soul on this forum lives near you if you state your location and would be willing to oblige.

If you've driven a good one, even once, you'll have a much better idea of what you're looking for and whether you're getting a good deal or a lemon.
I've done lots of research on the suspension, and facts and figures on the Xantia but I have more specific questions, so here goes (quick fire round):

Hmm, a bit hard to condense into a paragraph or two, but I'll try. First consider standard hydropneumatic suspension of the SX model - a hydraulic ram on each wheel connected to a sphere.

Inside the sphere is a pocket of gas (nitrogen) behind a diaphram - this is your springing element. In the neck of the sphere is a damper valve. A height corrector measures the height (via the rollbar) and lets in more oil or removes oil in the gap between the sphere and the hydraulic ram, thus changing ride height.

Good points - if you add more load to the car it will initially sink, but the height will then be corrected back to normal. As well as this the springing stiffness will become proportionally stiffer, thus maintaining the same ride/handling characteristics with extra load. Because of the height correction, it makes possible much softer springing than is possible with steel springs, (and therefore much better ride) because the height and stiffness are always appropriate for load changes.

Bad points - no inherant roll resistance in the hydraulic system because left and right sides are piped together. This means the mechanical roll bar is the *only* thing resisting roll. Because of this Hydropnematic models tend to roll a lot. (Although not nearly as much on a Xantia as older models such as GS and CX, as the Xantia seems to have a fairly beefy rollbar) As with any conventionally sprung car, the choice of springing and damping rates is still a compromise between crusing comfort and tight handling/cornering in extreme circumstances.

Enter Hydractive 2 - basically you have a system that can switch on the fly between a soft comfortable ride mode which is even softer again than normal Hydropneumatic syspension, and a firm mode which has quite a bit stiffer springing, MUCH stiffer damping, and has the left-right flow path blocked off, which can be used during hard braking, cornering etc. (The firm mode is stiffer even than most conventionally sprung passenger cars, more what you'd expect from a "performance" car)

A computer measures road speed, steering wheel angle and velocity, front brake pressure, accelerator pedal movement, and front suspension movement to decide when the suspension should be soft or hard, its all fully automatic.

Waft along at speed in a straight line with comfortable ride, and then take a sudden corner with hardly any body roll, and tight handling, that is the basic experience of driving a Hydractive 2 model.

The switch on the centre console (labeled comfort/sport) simply makes the sensors more sensitive - mainly the steering wheel angle, causing it to switch to the firm mode for a less sharp corner, thus biasing the characteristics of the car more towards handling rather than ride.

In either switch position it will still be soft during straight ahead crusing, and still be firm in hard cornering, its only the point at which it changes over that the switch affects.

Personally I hardly ever use the 'sport' mode setting, as I find the comfort position switches at about the time I think it should.
Well...... it does depend a bit on whether there are any problems in the system to begin with. It *can* be diagnosed by the home mechanic with a bit of electrical knowledge (and a lot of help from this forum :) ) but it is a relatively complex system.

Fortunately the most complex part of it - the computer system and sensors, seems to be very reliable and seldom gives problems.

In hydraulic terms it has two extra spheres than a standard model that need replacing/regassing when the get old, and it has two control units that include an electrovalve, and the electrovalve does seem prone to wearing out and leaking internally, a problem which I'm having with mine, and which a few other forum members have had.

The symptoms can be intermitant harsh ride, and a seeming lack of damping. Apart from that electrovalve the rest of the system seems pretty reliable.
I have a Series 1 Xantia, and no, the dip beam isn't great, but after I adjusted the angle a bit more carefully, and in conjunction with the "driving lights" (basically uncoloured fog lights at the bottom) they are acceptable.

The driving lights really help to give a little bit of "fill" to the areas outside the focus area of the main headlights.... enough to see the edges of the road better, and where the white line is going up in the distance. Without the driving lights it wouldn't be very good driving on dip....
Seems to depend a lot on the country! I'm in New Zealand, and my VSX came with:

Hydractive 2, Electric seats, Air-Con, Outside temp guage, Airbag, ABS, Auto Parking mirror, steering wheel radio controls.

You might need to get the "exclusive" model to get leather seats, not sure on that one. Cruise control is an option in the UK on VSX, I don't think we ever got it over here. Sunroof is an option on any model, and I don't think any Series 1 model got any kind of trip computer system, and not sure about the Series 2 either.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive