petrol or diesel xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham593192

petrol or diesel xantia

Post by graham593192 »

Your advice please…………..

I currently have a 95(N) 1.8 16v xantia Dimension with 93k. Yesterday I was offered an L reg 1.9td sx with 90k for £300. I don’t know what to do!

My car has full service history. In December I changed all spheres and last month I changed front discs and pads, droplinks and tracking rod ball joint as well as a few other little jobs. Ive done 22k since I got it 18 months ago. The car runs like new and apart from a few minor scratches to the paintwork, looks like new inside and out. I get 32 - 35 mpg out of it which I think is dam good from a 10 year old car considering my dad only gets 29 – 33 out of his 2 year old 1.8 Toyota Avensis!

The diesel I have been offered also has full service history and had new front and accumulator spheres fitted in January. Although the interior is a little more tied than mine the bodywork is immaculate apart from a repair which has been done to the offside rear wing and needs respraying as it has only been primed so far.

I am tempted by the diesel but am having some reservations as I don’t know a think about working on diesel engines but am perfectly happy to strip down and work on a petrol engine. I can’t see it costing to much to get the rear wing resprayed.

I know the diesel will be better on fuel but how much better? Would it be enough to justify swapping my car for one that is two years older?

I find my petrol to be one of the best cars I’ve driven in terms of ride quality and engine performance and smoothness. How much different is the diesel to drive?

I’m not sure what to do and I’ve only got till Monday to decide as the car is going to someone else if I don’t want it.

Your advice please
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The Diesel should return 40-45 MPG and is a pleasant car to drive with oceans of torque, if the car is scruffy then you might regret it, as far as maintenence the engines are simple enough, really a matter of oil and filters.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I concur with Stewart. Diesel engines, especially that one with mechanical fuel injection are actually simpler than a modern petrol engine. I have run diesels for about 20 years and wouldn't go back to a petrol, not just because of the fuel consumption but because they are more relaxing to drive, fewer gear changes. You should get 25% - 35% better fuel consumption, depending on how you drive.

But really it all comes down to condition and how many miles you do, if you dont do a high mileage and your existing car is in good condition you probably wont gain much by changing. The best thing to do is drive the other car and see if you like it. You need to adopt a different style of driving with a diesel because the maximum torque (pulling power) is developed at relativly low revs, around 2000 rpm, over that the power starts to drop off, so if you want to overtake dont change down, just put you foot down and dont let the revs get to high before changing up. you wont generally find it necessary to change down to go up hills or overtake.
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

I took the car for a drive yesterday and it seemed ok but I'm not sure how different I should expect it to be. The only diesel car I have driven is a landrover we have at work so this gives me no indication as its like driving a tractor!!
As I said the rear wing has an area about 18 inches square that needs respraying. any isea how much this would cost? With out looking at the car I seem to recall that the wing runs up and is part of the door surrounds alll the way round to the bonnet. Would all this need respraying or can they just spray the affected area and blend it in, thus saving money?
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

I'd say stick with the devil you know. It wont take many bills to wipe out any possible fuel savings, plus its an older car than the one you have now.
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

You have changed quite a few parts on your existing car, as you said its running nice now, do you really want to change all that and open up a whole new can of worms on an older car all for an extra 10mpg?

I have never had a Diesel Xantia (both have been petrol that i have had), but i did have Diesel BX before the first Xantia. I did prefer the Petrol, but in saying that i'm thinking of a second Xantia and getting a diesel just because my current one is like a whore when it comes to fuel at the moment, but then again most turbo petrol cars are...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Keep the car you've got. It doesn't sound to me like the new car beats your existing one in any way other than the engine.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

I decided to keep my own car as I've spent a fair amount on it recently and can't gaurentee that if I gett the other car I won't have spend that money again doing the same things again. Also I haven't got the time at the moment to be getting the other one sprayed and then be messing around swapping things over like my towbar, cd changer and nearly new tires.