HELP NEEDED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

HELP NEEDED

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Hi, I have just put a new thermostat and new anti-frezze in my xantia 1.9 td 1996, temperature is much better getting up above 70 degrees what it use to be on. The problem i have is i get a nice blast of hot air out of my heaters in the car but then it goes luke warm, i have tried bleeding the system but can only see 1 bleed nozzle ( looks like a dust cap ) on top of the engine, does anyone know if there are anymore bleed nozzles on this car or anything else i should try to get hot air constantly into the cabin or any other method you might know which will work....help please its rather cold today....Colin
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
JohnTurbo
My Cars:

Post by JohnTurbo »

When i fill my radiator i use a cordial bottle with the bottom cut off to provide a head of water...the top fits quite snuggly into the filling hole and allows you to use a head of water and fill the heater matrix.

Otherwise you're fighting the high matrix connections which are higher than the filling hole itself.
Citroens have more spheres.
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Ok Thanks i can see what you are saying, i think i probably have air in the cooling system, what is the correct way to bleed it, as i have already said i can only find 1 bleeding nozzle ( like a dust cap ) and i am not 100% sure the correct method to remove air in the system...any help would be appreciated......Colin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

From cold engine - run it up to normal work temp - using the advice of John above. Simply fill the homemade header tank ensuring you have a fluid level well above the heater matrix.

While engine is warming up the pump will circulate the coolant and draw out the air. Things gets better when the engine reaches work temp and the thermostat opens.

Best description of what happens - is "burping" from your homemade header tank - as the air escapes :wink:

Any excess coolant will be expelled. Then refit the rad cap.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Thanks Anders and John,
Just to clarify what is the usual operating temperature of a 1.9 td and roughly what temp does the thermostat open at ?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

There is another bleed, it looks like the one you have found. It is on the bulkhead where the 2 heater hoses are. Look carefully as it is easily missed.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

thanks neil, i have certainly missed it, :shock: i will look for it tomorrow when i try the old header tank trick.......Colin
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

BonceChops wrote:There is another bleed, it looks like the one you have found. It is on the bulkhead where the 2 heater hoses are. Look carefully as it is easily missed.
And usually one on the thermostat (Allen head screw) although that one is too low for bleeding the heater matrix but useful when doing the initial fill.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

As i said i will try the header tank trick tomorrow, then if that fails i will look for the other 2 mystery bleed nozzles and try them. Does anyone know roughly what temp the xantia should run at and what temp the thermostat opens at....?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i never use the header tank method and never have any probs bleeding the system on any cit/pug,fistly you need to remove the plug from the top N/S of the rad top up coolant till it comes out at this point and stops sinking,then replace the plug in top of rad,now remove all other bleed valves and continue topping up coolant,if coolant dose not come out of these valves start engine bring revs up to about 2,000 rpm hold this untill coolant comes out then replace valve caps and header tank cap,continue to run engine till rad fans cut in and when they cut back out gently open tank cap with causion if coolant is calm all is fine,this method never fails
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The XUD thermostats starts to open at 83degC - and is fully open at 88degC. Nothing is boiling then - if thats what you fear.

Even if you got a winter thermostat - this is only operating with an offset at 5degC higher.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

WELSHVIKING wrote:As i said i will try the header tank trick tomorrow, then if that fails i will look for the other 2 mystery bleed nozzles and try them. Does anyone know roughly what temp the xantia should run at and what temp the thermostat opens at....?
look at the pipework above/behind the engine the bleed screws are usually an allen key fit.