Gearbox ?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pdriver
My Cars:

Gearbox ?

Post by Pdriver »

Would I be able to fit a gearbox from a non turbo diesel 306, onto a 405 turbo diesel, and would I have to change anything. The gearbox in my 405 at the moment is very notchy and is sometimes hard to get into reverse, does it sound like its on its way out, or could it be the clutch which is very heavy, I have only just got the car and judging by the air filter and oil it hasn't been serviced for a long time.

Paul
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I'm no expert but, wouldn't the ratio's be different? the turbo would have higher ratios then the non turbo so as to not run out of steam too quickly after the power has cut in. Or am I totaly wrong on this one?
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

When you say it is sometimes difficult to get into reverse, do you mean because the gears crunch, if so then this is a problem with the clutch not disengaging properly, the only cure (providing simple cable adjustment is not the problem) is to fit a new one.

Until you get a new one in, engage one of the forward gears to stop the clutch driven plate and then quickly shift into reverse.

The boxes will swap but the ratios are slightly different, turbo boxes have taller gearing to exploit the extra power, and also for better fuel economy.

Dave
Decca
My Cars:

Post by Decca »

Agree with Dave..

get clutch working properly. then if car appears to have been neglected.. change gearbox oil. existing oil may be wrong type, old and contaminated or low level.

If service history is unknown.. I would change all oils, coolant, brake fluid and filters

Decca
405SRi, 306XT, 406HDi
Past: 403, 504GL, R12GL, 406ST