zxtd help needed clutch rear caliper.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

zxtd help needed clutch rear caliper.

Post by shezads »

Just been told that both the gearbox mount and the lower engine mount need changing. Gearbox one had been knocking for nearly two years (only when hard on brakes / and then on acceleraor).

Also - clutch has been juderry for a long time - needs changing now - as gearchanges are getting notchy.

Other problem is one of the rear calipers - hand brake does not hold on that well. - The outer disc has about half an inch of rus on the disc (on the outer edge), whole circfumference of the disc.
At mot time, the garage rubbed away the rust (slight surface), and bled the caliper - and brakes were ok when testing (different MOT garage).
The problem has reocurred, so will the caliper need changing? The middle / inner part of the pad seems to grip the disc - as this is not rusty.

Not sure if its the caliper (seems most likely), do you think it could be the caliper not sliding correctly, or could it be the piston itself?

Also is the clutch on this the pull type or is it the other type. Couldn't get a code from valeo.com -for the clutch kit - did not say which was which.
My local mechanic says he can get a new one (not recon), from transco for £65. Is this a good brand / or not. If it is a new clutch - will it not be the same as the oem (valeo) - as they are all usually made by the same company...
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the clutch is not slipping, I wouldn't be to eager to change it. It could be contaminated with oil, or just have a rough surface. Try slipping it on a hill for 30 seconds, that should burn anything undesirable off and smooth it out. Don't do it for much longer or you may burn it out.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You need to check the handbrake is working properly on BOTH sides.

Cables frequently sieze on ZX - and as far as I know the operating mechanism is the same as a BX and some Xantia front brake. I'd remove each back wheel and get someone carefully to poerate the handbrake while you look at whats happening at the wheel. The cable should be seen to move and the operating arm twist. My guess is that one cable is at fault.

If the car is lightly laden its likely that the rear brakes will do very little - indeed Vauxhall recommend that some of theirs fitted with disc rear brakes are actually driven for 100 yeards each week with the handbrake on just to clean the disc. Filling the tank fully may be enough to bring them itno operation.
jeremy
shezads

Post by shezads »

Does anyone know where I can buy the lower engine mount and the gear box mount (located under battery tray)?

Been to gsf nottingham, they told me they don't sell the mounts for the td - the ones they stock are suitable for the petrol models only (i.e. not strong enough). Is this true? Don't want to have to get stung by the dealer.
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at the GSF website - they have an on-line shop which you can order from over the net - they also publish a downloadable catalogue - Citroen mounts are on P142. Another usual source could be Euro Car Parts who have an online shop and also publish a catalogue.

Seems GSF sell one disc lower mount for all XUD engines, and I'd have thought the engine LH mount was the same as the one you refer to as gearbox (I'd call it that as well!) - and one fits petrol and diesel.
jeremy
Gnerk
My Cars:

Post by Gnerk »

Could also try www.eurocarparts.co.uk

They have an internet catalogue and order service, but also have branches in Nottingham, Leicester, and possibly Derby.

Also, there's a place near Loughborough called Shepshed Auto Spares (just 'yell' it on t'internet). They do parts for most makes of cars, and used to be pretty reasonable for Subaru parts in my Jap Car days.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the first thing to try with your brakes is new discs/pads,and the usual thing causing engine and box to move on take up and let of is lower mount,so i would just fit the lower bush before going any further
regards malcolm