What The ! !

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

What The ! !

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Take a look at this, and it appears to be a picture of a dark coloured right hand drive 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/2b/ac/d7_ ... et_id=100D

Although, as with anything in life the devil is in the detail, so please look at it more closely.

O.K. as it's not too obvious from that front picture what's wrong, so now look at the other pictures in the auction, and all will be revealed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ors.search.

The four pictures that amazed me were the interior shots, and I couldn't believe what I was looking at, and nearly fell off my chair.

Looking closely at this, and the other car (the white 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport) that they have done this so called conversion work on. :shock: :D LOL I am amazed that anyone would do such poor quality pathetic unsafe work like this.
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 24 Feb 2006, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There are a few bits and pieces on the left hand side that it would have been nice if they'd moved them accross too, e.g. the ignition key, indicator stalks, instrument panel etc.

Jeep do (or did) right hand drive Cherokees, so there is no reason why somebody in the US couldn't import a properly converted one if they so desired.

My Dad's Lancia Thema was a RHD car from the showroom but the pedals were linked across the footwells to the opposite side as part of the conversion Lancia/Fiat had done, rather better hidden though.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

How Not To Convert A Car !

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Kowalski wrote:There are a few bits and pieces on the left hand side that it would have been nice if they'd moved them accross too, e.g. the ignition key, indicator stalks, instrument panel etc.

Jeep do (or did) right hand drive Cherokees, so there is no reason why somebody in the US couldn't import a properly converted one if they so desired.

My Dad's Lancia Thema was a RHD car from the showroom but the pedals were linked across the footwells to the opposite side as part of the conversion Lancia/Fiat had done, rather better hidden though.

Yes I agree, it's going to be difficult to know what speed you are doing, when it's right over the other side. As for being able to drive safely with other controls too far away, and if you reach for them, or the stereo, heater etc then there is a distinct possibility of getting caught in that "V" belt.

Also it would be difficult for a passenger to sit in their front seat (which ever one they choose) without touching the controls.

When stopped by the police with two people in the front, the officer would be confused as to who was driving.

This conversion must surely contravene safety regulations in America.
After all they have warnings etched on passenger door mirrors which are convex, that things might be closer than they appear.
JohnTurbo
My Cars:

Post by JohnTurbo »

Why would they do this anyway? Surely they would want the wheel on the correct side for their roads?
Citroens have more spheres.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Why ?

Post by ACTIVE8 »

JohnTurbo wrote:Why would they do this anyway? Surely they would want the wheel on the correct side for their roads?
Well yes ! :)

It seems to be a pointless conversion !
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Edit

Post by ACTIVE8 »

O.K. sorry about the second link in the initial post being too large. I have now edited it so you don't need a widescreen monitor to view it. :)
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

think... they lent it to a postal worker for the day and say its perfect for your deliveries.

meaning with the controls on the RH side they can get in and out of the car via the pavement (if there is pavement knowing what some of the usa is like) instead of having to go all the way round the car.

Sounds harsh and not exactly what we all like to think about but what happens in an accident? air bag pops on on the left hand side almost comically whilst your on the right? or what about the metal work by your feet and legs, cant be too plesant!

Edd
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Only in America!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Go here-

http://www.postalthings.com/

All will be revealed!!! :shock:
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just in case the wheel gets in the way of eating big mac and fries.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
JohnTurbo
My Cars:

Post by JohnTurbo »

So what...getting out of your car is jay-walking? my god.

Amazing what some sheet metal, v belts and pillow block bearings can do for the OMG factor of your vehicle.
Citroens have more spheres.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

bxbodger wrote:Go here-

bxbodger

Thanks for the extra information it did reveal more about the so called conversion.

It's an amazing bit of Heath Robinson engineering ! :shock:

Could you imagine Postman Pat in the U.K. driving these conversions.
No probably not !

They wouldn't drive it !

Reading through their brochure when you get to the last page it appears that owner is meant to send the steering wheel from their vehicle off to the "engineering company." Failure to do that means the company will not return the deposit, that is paid in the initial payment.
With the proper steering wheel gone, it will cost a lot if the owner needed it again in the future, and had to go to a main dealer to obtain another one. Also the steering wheel sent back looks nothing like the one sent away, I.E. less padding etc, therefore more unsafe.

DER !

* So, you end up affecting the resale of your vehicle !
* It will invalidate a warranty !
* The air bag on the drivers side is lost, because the "normal" steering wheel is sent off !
* The air bag on the "normal" passenger side now won't work properly with all this angle iron in front of it !
* The SRS (air bag, safety restraint system) will log a fault(s) and the light will go on !

They also seem to have a patent on a flip window.

Although there is a company that we all know that thought about that many many years ago, and put it on the 2CV.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Well, it appears that American postmen do NOT walk!!! Talk about a stereotype............ :lol:
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

bxbodger wrote:Go here-

Have you read the testimonials?
Well, the change over arrived last Thursday at 7:10 PM our time, the next day it was installed. Drove it with the first mail on Saturday. Customers thought this was a new delivery van, furnished by the post office. I had to set them right. Every thing seems to be going OK, having problems with the gas pedal sticking, any help on how to fix the problem? Otherwise everything is great.
Only a minor niggle that, gas pedal sticking on an automatic. :shock:

I am amazed that a country which is so obsessed with safety allows such a heath-robinson device to be DIY installed. I can't see it passing an MOT over here.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

What a lash up, the vehicle has nearly been destroyed, I have seen american cars with some dual controls for learners that were far far neater, thats where I might start if I needed right hand drive but thats just dangerous rubbish.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.