Front brake pad wear.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Front brake pad wear.

Post by user_3150 »

Hi everyone, just replaced the front pads after hearing a bit of metal on metal action. Anyway the outside pads were on the metal but the inside had only worn about half way any ideas? Seems a bit strange as the car pulls up well and brakes O.K on MOT brake tester. Checked the calipers and they are floating very smoothly. They don't bind (or at least I can't feel it) and the pistons seem to be moving freely.
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

how many brake pistons do xantia have on the front??

if it is one there will be a slider arrangement whereby the single piston pushing out on the pad causes the whole caliper arrangement to slide on sliders pulling the other pad onto the oposite side of the disc.

it xantias have single pot calipers on the front it is almost certainly the sliders ciezing.

anybody else, do xantias have single pistons on the front????
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Yes hey are single cylinder..... and very simple to keep free, just use copperslip or similar
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

as the sliders have obviously started to jam it will be neccessary to dismantle then.

there is a 17mm bolt (i think) at the top and bottom of the caliper, these can be removed and the metal sleeve which acts as the slider removed - it will be stiff becuase this is the fault that is causing uneven pad wear...

they will need cleaning will wire wool or fine emery paper, greaing and re-assembling. its not a bad jod - ive done it on the front and back of my zx...

have fun

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Thanks for the replies. The calipers are sliding freely this is what I can't work out. I checked the calipers over when changing the pads and all is well in the movement front no catching or seizing. What I might do is take off the calipers and see if there is some debris on the slider shaft and re-grease as 8304 Alistair says. (this will obviously go onto my summer Xantia to do list along with a few other's). Cheers Alec
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem with Xantia's, and may well be a design flaw, it seems that uneven wear between the innner and outer pads happens on most of them despite the calipers seeming to slide smoothly and being lubricated.

It may have something to do with the fact that they only have one slide pin instead of the two more commonly found on single piston calipers...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

I have read in the past, if a car is left for long periods in moist or wet weather conditions, and the car is not used often, then the rust build up on the outside face of the disks can produce premature wear on the out side pads.

I have never found this to be a problem though..

Good luck.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mandrake wrote:Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem with Xantia's, and may well be a design flaw, it seems that uneven wear between the innner and outer pads happens on most of them despite the calipers seeming to slide smoothly and being lubricated.

It may have something to do with the fact that they only have one slide pin instead of the two more commonly found on single piston calipers...

Regards,
Simon
It is in fact a common problem with ALL type sliding calipers. Once the sliding bores/bushes becomes a bit worn, they tend to stick because they are able to move a bit sidewards and then lock under braking. You dont notice this during a service job as they simply slide perfect and freely when you test ...

I get this problem all the time with the BX'es in my stable. Only remedy is to replace the slider bushes. Sometimes the solution is to clean (rub down) the contact end face of the bushes - and the hub mating face. I.e. the same type of problem when corrosion gets in between rear calipers and rear arms.
This makes the calipers slide out of true.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
cosb6

Post by cosb6 »

The same used to happen on my VW Polo, and MG ZR.... it's very common because of the simple design..

Personally, as long as the brakes work correctly, I wouldn't worry unduely....
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Would it be worth polishing the sliders at all...?

A light polish with a little bit of Brasso or Molybdenum paste might just return a nice shine and allow the grease to act more effectively. I know when I've dismantled these in the past the sliders always look quite dull, and considering the movement they have you'd expect some shine on them.

Just a thought...
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Sounds like a reasonable idea to me..... However, to prevent getting to this stage, a light smear of suitable grease as preventative maintenance is best.
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4