Xantia Gear Linkage Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bddeazeley
My Cars:

Xantia Gear Linkage Problem

Post by bddeazeley »

Hi Folks,

My Xantia 2.1SX requires a gear linkage rod which keeps falling off. The local Citroen dealers only supply a complete gear linkage assembly at over £200. Does anybody know of a supplier of these linkage rods or even the ball connector end piece.

Thanks, Brian.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Brian,

Is this a 2.1 TD? Not sure exactly what bit you are referring to - the 2.1 uses a cable operated gearbox, and I'd imagine the cables are available separately (maybe not though!). If it's not a 2.1 TD then it uses the good old BE3 box, which is operated by 3 rods, which are (or were!) available separately. Let us know what engine it is, and I'll try and look up the parts for you.
Richard W
bddeazeley
My Cars:

gearbox linkage

Post by bddeazeley »

Hi Richard,

Yes it is a 2.1 turbo diesel 12 valve Xantia SX first registered in January 1999. It is a rod link ball connector that keeps popping off until I wrapped a rubber band around it. The symptoms when it happens are the gearstick is very loose and reverse and 5th cannot be selected although you can still select 1,2,3 & 4th. Looking down on the linkage it is the top rod. I didn't see any cables.

Brian
lawns
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Xantia 11 2.0 HDI. 110
C3 1.4 HDI DV4C A51
Peugeot 3008 2.0 HDI 150

gearbox linkage

Post by lawns »

Hi Brian,
I donot have info on your xantia but on my old BX i linked the rods by a tie wrap secured to each rod and another linked to each tie wrap.
This held for a year and costs less than a pound.
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Xantia gear Linkage

Post by bddeazeley »

You obviously think very similar to myself Richard as using cable ties has crossed my mind. I have found several engineering sites that manufacture the ball end connectors to screw on to the rod the only problem is I have no way of identifying their equivalent connector as I don't know the specification of the Xantia connector. I have tried Citroen for info but no reply as yet.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Brian,

I looked on the parts site, and the 2.1 does use the ML5 box, which is operated by cables from the gear stick, and yes it's only available as one piece, and costs nearly £300 :cry: Changing that is going to be a right bugger as well! I'd go for putting a couple of cable ties around it myself!
Richard W
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have a worn rod linkage on my BX - its one of the main (large) rods that has worn and I was contemplating buying a proprietory joint like a Rose joint, and welding/tapping the rod to take it and removing the ball and drilling the other bit if necessary.

I'm sure an ingenious engineer could substitute a joint - but the rest may be worn as well!

I now have a good second hand linkaget (Thanks Tom and DLM) which I'll be fitting shortly.
jeremy
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Gear Linkage

Post by bddeazeley »

The price frightens me but the thought of changing the complete assembly terrifies me and I would say thats a definate no no.

I have found a couple of web sites of suppliers of the rod ends and I would say it looks possible to unscrew the original ball connector and replace it.
Check out the following web sites:

http://www.illstonandrobson.com/

http://www.huco.com/products.asp?p=true&cat=250

The main difficulty would be in identifying which connector fits. Using cable ties might make the linkage very stiff to select reverse and 5th I think heavy elastic rubber would allow the movement required as this rubber band I fitted allows selection OK.

Be interested to hear your opinions.

Brian
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The ball joint is adjustable as far as I know, so it should screw off the end, just like a track rod end (although it would be just like Citroen to make it back to front so you can't remove the end!). It's probably standard(ish). Trouble is, you will need to take it off and either send it or take it to the shop to match it. I understand that adjusting the cables to get the change to operate properly might not be all that easy either. You could try wrapping some PTFE tape around the ball - after all, it's presumably the nylon part of the joint of that is worn - this is first one on an ML5 box I have heard of though! This box was also used on the 2.0 turbo and 110 HDi Xantias, and Xsaras etc fitted with HDi 110 engines, so it might be possible to liberate one from a low mileage crashed car in the scrappy (and lubricate it!). How many miles has your Xantia done?
Richard W
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

My Xantia has only done 56,000 miles and I bought it when it was 10 months old to tow our caravan. It is a fantastic tow car. The only problem I have had with it until now was the alternator bearing became very noisey when it was still under Hallmark warranty so that didn't cost anything. It has one other problem just now the tensioner or pulley on the auxilliary belt sounds noisey particularly when its cold so I will need to get that done quick before bigger problems arise. I always enjoyed driving the Xantia and it is the second one I have owned the first being a 1.9 VSX TD.