405 illuminated window switch problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pugmug

405 illuminated window switch problem

Post by pugmug »

Hi All
Got a small prob with my window switches, only the switch in the drivers door that operates the passenger door window lights up when the ignition is on, i have tried changing switches with ones from a scrapyard but they still don't illuminate, could there be any other reason or have i just replaced duff switches with more duff switches? as you can imagine it's hard to fiddle about with these switches as the illumination doesn't show up in daylight anyway.

1995 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX airbag
with dodgy aircon and disconnected immobiliser/alarm :roll:
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi,

It maybe that you have just had the bad luck of putting a replacement swith in with the same problem or you have not got a +tive feed for the illumination.
It may be worth stripping the switch down and locating where the live conection to the bulb is and seeing if there is a feed.
I have managed to strip the swithches on my 306 and put them together again to make them work with no problems.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

If the window goes up & down then there's nothing wrong with the switch, Its just a blown bulb.

Replace the bulb inside the switch & the problem will be sorted.

Model shops will have small 12 volt bulbs you can adapt to fit inside these switches, There about £2 for a pack of 5 bulbs.

Pop the top of the switch by releasing the sides on the rocker part, Look which way the yellow bulb holder is facing & how it is located on the metal terminals.

Pop the bulb holder out & replace the bulb.

You want 12 volt grain of wheat bulbs, Strip the insulation back on the wires & wrap it around the pegs on each side of the yellow bulb holder.

Stick the bulb holder back in guiding the slots on to the terminals & press down.

Put the top back on the switch & then that's it, Make sure you test the switch so you get it facing the correct way round on the car.

Ive done this before on a couple of 405s after Peugeot stopped selling the replacement bulbs & wanted you to buy a new switch instead.

The only difficult one is the one shot drivers window switch, You need a soldering iron for that one :shock:
Decca
My Cars:

Post by Decca »

This is a perennial problem keeping all the switches illuminated
Follow powerLee's advice as they are easy to fix.
But next time mine play up... I will replace the bulb with a clear LED, (they need a small current limiting resistor to work), but the fix will be permanent.

The same with the two lights behind the clock/temp display.

Decca
405SRi, 306XT, 406HDi
Past: 403, 504GL, R12GL, 406ST
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

The 405 clock & outside temp display bulbs are easy to do, Just throw the Haynes book in the bin first, They take the P**S with there guide on replacing those bulbs.

15 minutes max start to finish for me on that job & that aint even rushing :wink:

The electric window switch bulbs last for years, Once they have been replaced you should get a good 4 to 5 years out of them.

The one shot drivers window bulb is different, Its soldered in, A new one shot switch is £18 from Peugeot by the way :wink:

On the LED front why not just use 12 volt LEDs? Maplins do them & they are less the 30 pence each the last time I looked.
Decca
My Cars:

Post by Decca »

PowerLee...
I havent worked out the easy way to do the clock temp lights yet. Usually it has been the "start at the handbrake and work forward" way, because I was either replacing the radio or one time I replaced the led in the square switch that indicates whether the air con is on. I used a high intensity led because I could never tell if the aircon was on as the indicator was dull. If I had my sunnies on, it was impossible.

I replaced the switch bulbs a couple of years ago with ones from an electronics shop here and thought they would be good as they were a little bit brighter. but found that being a litle bit brighter comes at a cost... they run hotter and so were burning out quicker.

I havent seen the 12 volt leds here. Will have a look. They must have an integrated resistor in them. To me, leds will run on any voltage so long as the appropiate dropping resister is used.

Decca
405SRi, 306XT, 406HDi
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The easy way to do the 405 series 2 clock / outside temp bulbs is.

1) Throw Haynes book of mystery on fire

2) Using a bit of cloth to protect the fascia because it easily marks, Unclip the triangle trim at the top using a small flat blade screw driver.

3) Same screwdriver & cloth routine unclip the 3 x switches, Unplug them, Plugs are colour coded so you cant mix them up.

4) Undo the torx 20 screw at the top that was behind the triangle trim & the second screw that was hidden behind the hazard warning light switch.

5) Now heres the trick, Tilt the radio flap & hold it so you can now reach through the gap between the top of the flap & bottom of the fascia & get at the 2 torx 20 screws at the bottom of the fascia & undo those.

6) Gently pull the fascia from the bottom, There's the white plug on the back of the clock, A brown plug plugged into the fascia doing nothing ( trip computer never seen one though it is on the parts cd rom ) There's the brown plug at the top for the alarm LED & also a clip to slide in & out.

Then remove the clock, split it & just replace the bulbs, Used to earn beer tokens doing these for 405 owners.

I too replaced the A/C & recirc switch leds for brighter one, Also the alarm warning led got a super bright version fitted.

Electronics shops like Maplins have a range of LEDs & the 12 volt automotive versions.

http://www.maplin.co.uk Enter LED in the search box & scroll down to the 12 volt ones :wink:
Decca
My Cars:

Post by Decca »

Thanks PowerLee.

Have printed your post and put it in my Haynes Book of fairy tales.

Re point 5. Yep I know those two screws hidden away.

Dont have Maplins here in Oz but have similar

Decca
405SRi, 306XT, 406HDi