zx fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

zx fans

Post by 8304 »

just a quik one:

should the cooling fans on my 94 td zx run after the ignition has been switched off or will switching the ignition off switch the fans off???

saves me starting it and leaving it for ages to warm up so i could test it myself..

cheers

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

On my ZX 1.9D I'm sure the fans only run when the ignition is on. Have a look in the handbook and see what it shares its fuse with.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

good plan, ill do that!!
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The fans are powered by a relay - in turn controlled by the ignition switch.
No power to fans when ignition off.

I believe in general that car makers left the strategy with having active components in the car after key removal.
Years ago almost any car could scare you off with the cooling fan suddenly starting its roaring - when the car had stood a while after parking.

If you want the fan to continue work however - its just a matter of replacing the relay with a short linkwire - male spade each end - shorting out the relays contact point pins in the socket.

But in view of later Peugs catching fire when parked - I really wouldnt do it.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Got to tell you guys this. When I was driving Manky the TDZX she would have the fans cut in when she was hot. When you turned the ignition off if the fans had been on only one would carry on. This was according to my local Cit dealer a cooloing fan for the oil cooler that was fitted. Could this be the same thing you've got ?
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!