1994 Xantia not good at starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daytona-t595

1994 Xantia not good at starting

Post by daytona-t595 »

Hi all,
Although my xantia does start eventually, it runs rough when cold and moreoften than not will cut out if left to idle or after a couple of hundered yards. It will start first time and run perfectly if you prime the system first using the hand priming pump.

My question is - Should the hand priming pump be solid all the time, even when the car has been stood for a while with the engine off?

Could there be an air leak somewhere in the delivery line?

The fuel filter has been changed recently and the system bled from the filter housing.

Any replies would be gratefully accepted.

Regards
Neil
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Talking about hand priming - its a turbo diesel (TD) - right ? :wink:

The primer bulb should in fact remain solid for weeks when car is parked. If not - you guessed right - air is getting in somwhere on fuel suction side.
Bosch roto pumps are notoriuosly sensitive to leaking overflow hoses. The ones from injectors to the pump return pipe.
Use any type of fuel hosing suitable for diesel fuel.

Another very common problem is a weak glowplug. Life expectancy at least some 60K miles. If you dont have any records on these being replaced on a '94, they are certainly worth an investigation.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
daytona-t595

Post by daytona-t595 »

Yes it is a TD, forgot to mention that.

OK, well thanks for the info. It does sound like I have a problem somewhere along the line, so to speak. I will investigate further and keep you posted.

Thanks
Neil
daytona-t595

Post by daytona-t595 »

Well in the end I had all the fuel hose replace from tank to engine and all pipes in the engine bay.
Start first time, every time now. So somewhere along the line there myst have been some perishing/cracking.
All well and good now.
Cheers
Neil