HDI 110

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

docbrown
My Cars:

HDI 110

Post by docbrown »

Hello
I'm thinking of buying a 110 hdi xantia estate

are there any common faults etc that I should be looking out for?

I have a 1.9TD at the moment

Any help is appreciated
1998 Xantia 1.9 SX TD
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there... I'm sure I remember a thread on here recently about the door hinges on the estate having an inherent weakness ( there is also a diy fix to cure this) a search here should find it. hope this helps... Martin
I won't do that again
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

And judging by threads here, the fuel pump in the tank is a weak link - make sure it's not noisy, or by all accounts it won't last much longer.
zeersplat
My Cars:

Post by zeersplat »

I am getting rid of my hdi 110 AC hatchback shortly. (93k V reg 2000 model only fault ever since I got it is a rear door lock is US). I am the second owner since 30k and have changed oil every 6K. Reason for change is bought a bigger caravan and need a bigger tow car to carry all the other hfs junk + the van. These cars go like the wind and do miles to the gallon. I know this is not ebay but if you are interested let me know and save me the stress advertising it.

John
John
Life is not a rehearsal
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hi

As far as i understand there are two general topics you should fully investigate before making your mind up. Engine and Suspension. I can only give you some hints regarding the engine, as I also have a HDi. For suspension, there are many posts and also other members that are quite experienced (not my case).

The HDi engine is fabulous! I find it suitable to the Xantias high weight...The power is just enough :) A full tank (about 70 litres) will so more than 1200 km of highway. So fuel economy is VERY good. The turbo can be slow to kick in if the AC compressor has been activated.
However, there are as you say some weak points. The first is the high pressure injection pump. Mine recently failed. These pumps are extremely sensitive to water in diesel (and in Portugal where nobody really cares about peoples rights, this is a big problem). As you can imagine it is expensive to change the pump. To check how clean the Common Rail system is you can take a look at the fuel filter. In my case, Iron debris from the pump got into the whole CR system and contaminated all elements, incluiding the tank itself which had to be renewed.
The second common problem is the low pressure fuel pump that is in the fuel tank. There are many cases where it desintegrates and lots of debris end up in the CR system.
There have been some stories of the cranckshaft and cam oil retentors leaking earlier than expected.

My engine has done more than 150k miles. The headgasket was recently changed because some engine oil was passing through (to the engine outside). The engine inside however looked almost new, without signs of srong wear.

Other common faults are:
- CR high pressure sensor. When it fails, the engine will not fire-up.
- Inertia immobilizer can pack up and stop the engine.

In general, the engine is a good one and if looked after will do thousands of troublefree miles. I use fully synthetic 5w40 TOTAL Quartz 9000 motor oil.

Hope to have helped.
Rostami.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP