Whirey engine noises after steam clean

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ebod
My Cars:

Whirey engine noises after steam clean

Post by ebod »

My recently aquired Xsara HDI 110 is making a distinct whirey noise directly related to engine revs. It was fully valeted inside and out . I'm maybe thinking that somebody has blasted out the lubrication from the bearings on the ancilliaries like alternator.

Are they infamous for any noises/failures on the engine front end EG water pumps etc.

Is it possible to re-grease the bearings of the rotating bits ? Didn't think lots of oil/grease on the timing belt was a good thing....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Naaahhh ...

These bearings should certainly be sealed to withstand even a good engine clean. If not they would fail completely shortly after ...
Try lube your drivebelt(s) with a silicone spray. Could simply be a dry belt running on dry pulleys.
Easy done while engine idling - and instant feedback on the problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Bearings should be okay but not against a direct high pressure/temperature blast.

I really didn't think lubricating the belt and pulley surfaces was a 'wise; thing to do ? I thought it would cause a slip and any chemicals could damage the construction of the belt's rubber compound.

I'm prepared to try this if a few more regulars in this forum stand in line to back up what Anders is saying.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its likely that the cleaning of the engine has soaked the drivebelt and its pulleys, and the sunning surfaces have rusted. this rust has now rubbed off onto the belt which is a bit rough and is making the noises. To cure it you can fit a new belt but you may find that one or more of the pulleys have to be changed as well to achieve quiet running.

I had this problem on a Renault 21 and the belt on that would respond for a while to WD40 but eventually I had to use vaseline on both sides to get it to run quietly. Went on for years without problems.

I had noises from my current BX TD and for diagnostic purposes used silicon spray on the alternator belt with some improvement. I have now found that being supplied with too thin a belt did not help but in fact that its a tension problem. Your Xantia belt will probably have a spring loaded tensioner.
jeremy
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Could it be the crank pulley problem :(
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

ebod wrote:if a few more regulars in this forum stand in line to back up what Anders is saying.
:shock: Image

Standing alongside Anders with the silicone spray.
ImageImageImageImageImageAndersImageImageImageImageImage

Used it to that effect for decades.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Good on you Clogzz - the best smileys on the interweb!

I'd stand with Anders too, he is, and always has been, THE MAN 8)
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thank you, Ralph, Image nice to see that the efforts are paying off.

We should organise a coronation for Anders. Image

Anders, my female Image wants you to put your photograph in the avatar. :D
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Clogzz wrote:Anders, my female Image wants you to put your photograph in the avatar. :D
NO - she does not :shock:
- no sense in scaring people away from here :lol:

Thanks for the support guys :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Right then...I'll give it a blast with my little STP can of silcone spray at weekend. I only bought it for curtain rails inside my house :lol:

If it works I might even give my KIA Sedona 2.9 diesel a blast as well. That has a slightly noisey belt also. :roll:

....and if that works, I'll spray some on my cornflakes for breakfast. It might cure my aching joints :wink:
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Personally I use silicone spray on most car parts. Door rubbers, seat slides, sunroof runners, door locks and catches, seat belt locks, elec connections, you name it, I spray it. lol.. I guess that is another a vote for Anders. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

a slightly different angle on the subject........ :shock:

this whiring noise, is it when you are sat in your car and is it when the radio is on???????? :?:

The stereo on my zx makes a very gentle whiring noise when it is turned down, you cannot hear it when it is turned up a bit louder.......

it might sound trivial but mite be worth checking 8)

i suspected worn brushes in the alternator on mine but the problem persited even when i changed it so ive resorted to turning the radio up so i cant hear it!!

cheers,

alastair.
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

I've got chance to take a closer look/listen today.
Also I sprayed STP silicone spray all over the timing & aux belts, but no reduction in the noise.

Its definately coming from the front corner , either the PS pump or the alternator. This model seems to have an inbuilt PS fluid blake reservoir on the top of the pump. It didn't look clear how you are to tell what the reservoir level is.

The other week the steering did go stiff for a split second shortly after startup. Is possble my PS fluid level could be too low ?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

How many belts are there ?
You often see power steerings with a belt to themselves.
It could be loose and slipping, causing noise and loss of power assistance.
The level indicators are usually horizontal stripes on a translucent plastic reservoir.
By looking in through the top, I'd say that 'well over half full' should be 'sufficient'.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Get a long piece of wood or similar - even hose pipe will do, put it to your ear and have a listen to the various components and see if you can isolate the cause of the noise.

Obviously take care that you don't get yourself or your clothing caught in the belt.

If you're really posh you can get one of these:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040213250
jeremy