Alternator help needed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xdavex70

Alternator help needed

Post by xdavex70 »

Out of the blue today, the battery charge light on my 2001 306 HDI came on.

I have just checked the voltage across the battery, and got the following readings

Engine off 12.9v
at idle 14.9v
at approx 2000 revs 15.2v
at idle with lights, heater and stereo on 14.8v

From the readings, it would appear to me that the alternator is doing its job, but the battery light stays on with the engine running.

One other new thing that is happening (just noticed while getting the voltage readings) is that when I turn the key to the accessory position, all the warning lights come on APART from the battery light. When I start the engine, all the other warning lights go out (as they should) but the battery light comes on.

This car has never given me any problems in 4 years, but am confused now as to what the problem is....any ideas??
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

There is no problem with the alternator - the trouble is with the switched feed on the "battery" side of the warning lamp. This feed causes the lamp to light when the key is turned before the engine starts. When the engine is running, there is about 14V from the alternator of the non-battery side of the lamp, and the same voltage from the (charging) battery on the other side, hence the lamp goes out.

Check fuses first of all, then ignition switch. There might be an ignition controlled relay on your car - check this too. I use the word "ignition" in the general sense - its a diesel!

rotodiesel.
xdavex70

Post by xdavex70 »

thanks for that...I'll check it out tomorrow. I suppose the good news is the alternator is fine so I wont get a flat battery!!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'm not so sure about the clean bill of health for the alternator.

15.2v is too high... much too high. It should control at no more than 14.4v

I wonder if the regulator is shot, and hence the warning lamp being on.
This is not a signature.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

has the electric windows stopped working as well? fuse 22or 28 blows not sure which one and this puts battery light on and loss of electric windows.cause water ingress through rear wiper spindle into rear wiper timer in tailgate.only effects 5door /3door not estate.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Sounds like a shagged alternator to me, Fix it quick else the battery will be shagged too.
xdavex70

Post by xdavex70 »

pugxpert - you were spot on....the fuse was blown....I put another in and that blew straight away. What you have said make sense as the other day my rear window was really misty which I thought was odd, and the rear wiper made an odd noise.....

So to fix I guess I should seal any gap around the rear wiper, let everything dry out and replace the fuse?
xdavex70

Follow up

Post by xdavex70 »

OK - last night I tested the electric windows as per Pugexperts comments and found they were not working. This morning I checked out the spindle round the rear window wiper and found it was leaking.

So I have just dried the area off and sealed it up. I also took the blue (is it a regulator?) off, only to find it very damp, and the terminals corroded. So I let it dry out, cleaned the terminals and put it back.

Then I replaced the blown fuses, and am glad to report everything is back in order again, with the battery charge warning light coming on witht he key in the accessory position, and going out once the engine is running.

Thank you to those that took time to respond, and special thanks to Pugxpert, as I would have never have thought to check the rear wiper for a leak as a possible cause of the problem :!: :!: :!:
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

no problem,known fault in the dealer network,happy to help.if fuse blows again you may need a new rear wiper timer.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

has changing this fuse now brought the alternator charging voltage back down to a level that's not going to cook the battery?
This is not a signature.
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

I wasn't too concerned about the low load charging voltage because many (cheap?) digital multimeters are prone to giving wrong readings when there is a high ripple content in the voltage being measured. As the alternator is loaded, the peaks of the ripple decrease and the apparent DC value falls.

Valeo regulators are set too high anyway, giving short lamp life and battery gassing on most French cars. I just live with it and change the lamps, but this can be a pain on vehicles with inaccessible panel lamps.

rotodiesel.