Poorly ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lighteninguk

Poorly ZX

Post by lighteninguk »

I attempt to start this morning it refuses, it turns over feels like something is there, so i try again, adding a little throttle. it starts but will only continue with foot continually on the throttle, but even then it is very very lumpy as if running on 2 or so cyclinders. i notice smell, and murkey exhaust fumes from rear of car. Stop engine.

Open bonnet and start car again from outside using one hand on key, other on throttle body, notice fumes coming from area of dipstick! There has been a slight leak of oil down the cam belt side of the front of the engine. Oil level seems to have gone down since i last checked. coolant rather murkey with a bit of mayo.

Had to
To me looks like possibly dreaded gasket has gone. the car has done about 80,000 miles, i've had the cam belt changed in last 3 months or so.

just wanted ideas from you guys before i attempt to get the car down to the garage.

Thanks,

Edd
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like it to me - you could confirm with a compression test - plugs may show something, does the top hose go hard when the engine runs - all the usual horrors!

Make sure the cooling system is thoroughly flushed - can you think why it may have gone - overheating or something - as you need to get it cured at source rather than just do the gasket.
jeremy