Xantia Heater smells of burning rubber?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gabriel

Xantia Heater smells of burning rubber?

Post by Gabriel »

Hi Guys

Can you help me on this, my Xantia heater smells of burning rubber or coolant, it was that bad I thought the exaust was blocked
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its coolant leaking from the matrix, it would normally have the effect of steaming up the windscreen, if this isnt happening, and If its definitly coming from the heater, it could be an electrical problem, although this is unusual. Does it have a pollen filter? if so, could be some biological activity going on in there. Can you give us a more accurate description of the smell?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

It gives me a headache its as if the fumes are carbon monoxide, hence my feeling that my exhaust was blocked, I have read another section and someone gave mention to a leak in the cooling system. I have looked for some sign like a green leak, I have even lifted the bonnet to see if any smoke is there, but no each time the heater goes on I have to open the window. If the heater has gone would it smell and also I notice that the heat is very hot even at 18c.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'd check carefully that the exahaust isn't leaking at the manifold / pipe joint.
At least put one of those carbon monoxide detector cards in the car as a precaution.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, you could have an exhaust leak in the engine compartment and the heater fan is drawing it in. Is it a diesel? if so, open the bonnet before you start it up from cold, then start it and look for blue smoke around the back of the engine. If its petrol its more difficult as you cant see the exhaust unless you can introduce some redex or similar into the air intake.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The air intake for the heater is at the bottom of the windscreen, in front of the bonnet. Your bonnet has a seal at the rear edge so fumes (or exhaust) from under the bonnet can't easilly get taken into the heater intake, so I'm doubtful whether its under bonnet fumes that you're smelling. If you have the fan on cold, the air comes from the same place so if you get the smell then too its more likely to be from the outside. It sounds like a leaking heater matrix, a curry / burning rubber smell is normal when you've got a leaking matrix.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree - make sure you've not got fumes entering the car as this could kill you.

Sometimes - particularily when the car or heater hasn't been used for a time there can be an accumulation of dust and dirt which smells horrible - I had this on our ZX 1.9D last autumn - and its cleared now. I thought it was early signs of matrix problems - but as the thing never looses a drop of water it wasn't.

There have been cases of evil-smelling fungus affecting these things - some time ago on here there were a number of posts - and a search (fungus?) may help. I also seem to remember someone's problem was curry powder!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

xantia smelling of burning rubber, too much wheel - spinning me thinks.... :shock: :lol: 8)
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Try setting it to 'recirculate' and see if the smell goes, if it does it cant be the matrix, its coming in from outside, Check your air intake for dead rats or similar.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Ok I will look for the dead rats and mice, or more than likely dead leaves, how do I locate the air intake?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its through the grill, just below the windscreen.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Do I have to take off the window wipers for this or is there another way? I have had a peep and can see some leaves etc, what about if I give it a good spray with the hose?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Don't do that ! Image
The water will get into the blower motor and onto the carpet.
Check that the drain hole in there is clear.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

OK, I will not put the hose into that area, so, do I have to take off the window wipers first to get to this area? Also this burning rubber smell is to do with the heater, I used the fan on cold and no smell, as soon as the heater is on the smell starts, is this the air intake? or a problem with the heater?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I also have a slight smell when I turn my heater on which isn't there on cold... I'm not sure that I'd describe it as burning rubber though....its not really a smell that I can describe at all....

Could it still be the pollen filter even though it doesn't smell on cold ? What else could it be ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive