406 1.9TDI loud knocking from Engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rayc
My Cars:

406 1.9TDI loud knocking from Engine

Post by rayc »

Hi everyone
Excellent site!

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the following problem.
I have just purchased a 1998 1.9TDI foor my 18 year old son (Currently has 405 1.9TDI)
I got the car with 110,000 full history (Not dealer) and all old MOT's.
However, I purchased the car in the knowledge that the owner said it needed a new engine due to littles ends being shot.
After driving the car 30 miles home I have come to the conclusion that it appears the noise (heavy tapping like diesel knock) appears to be coming from the rear of the engine. When you dis connect brown plug from pump it becomes more uniform. (we cant assertain exactly where it comes from)
I'm thinking that perhaps it could be cam belt (Tensioner) or something around the pulleys end.

Can anyone enlighten me please. I dont want to replace what may be a perfectly good engine over something that may be silly.

I would truly appreciate any help from anyone.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Ray
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

i think the brown plug from pump is for the needle lift sensor from injector this tells ecu point of injection/needle lift could be this but i would check cambelt timing first .worse case is the pre combustion chambers in the head can come loos and really bad fall out and start hitting pistons may be pull injectors out and have a look in.hope of some help regards.....
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This sounds like the needle lift sensor has either gone open-circuit, or has a bad contact somewhere.

One of the injectors (either 3 or 4 I think) has a tiny little cable coming from it. This is the needle lift sensor cable, and if broken, the injection pump timing goes fully advanced, leading to the heavy diesel knock you're experiencing.

Try substituting that injector with a breakers yard one, and see if it makes any difference.
This is not a signature.
rayc
My Cars:

Post by rayc »

Update.

Stripped the Timing covers off today and found that the previous owners mechanic or whoever had put the timing belt on one tooth out! (or it jumped, but looks unlikely).
Retimed the engine and she fired away lovely.

Now number three injector has started leaking from the body so I will be cracking that open tomorrow to see if there's any dirt!

Then there's the oil leak from the Steering pump union! :shock: :wink: