Xantia rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham593192

Xantia rear suspension

Post by graham593192 »

Hi Guys

Your advice please

I've read various topics on here about replacing the rear suspension arms/bushes.
How can I tell if they need changing?
I had new spheres fitted in december all seemed fine.
A couple of weeks ago I changed the front discs and pads and since then the suspension has seemed a bit harder, particularly at the rear. Although I can't feel every bump like before I changed the spheres (they had been on 10 years!), it seems like the bumps are louder than they used to be.
I bled the sytem last week at each wheel as understood this could help. Although there was no air in the system i took out a, litre of brown fluid (would of took out more but I only had a litre to put back in).
Also would the ride height have much of an effect of ride quality. Last year I snapped the metal connecting rod that conntects the plastic rear height corrector link to the anti role bar. I replaced the connecting rod and plastic link but didn't reset the ride height exactly, I just did it by eye as I was in a rush. i suspect the rear is riding slighty high as my headlights don't seem to shine as far forward as the used to.

Graham
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Reference Guide

Post by ACTIVE8 »

There is some information on rear suspension arms, and bushes to be found here on this link below.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=9972

Although it refers to the BX, it is a very useful guide.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

How can I tell if they need changing?
The simple answer is, when the MOT man tells you!!! I suspect a lot of people change them out of paranoia more than anything else.
Also would the ride height have much of an effect of ride quality
It depends how far away from standard it is. Some people fiddle with the height correctors to make them ride lower, but, in my experience of trying it on the BX, it ruined the ride quality- standard is best, although others will obviously have a different opinion.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the suspension arms look level i.e. parrallel with the road, it should be about right.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If the fluid you bled out was brown, what's the rest of it like and when was it last changed?
If it's not a nice bright green, I'd change it and clean the filters - your suspension will probably be loads better as a result.
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

THanks for the help guys.

When I had the spheres changed they cleaned the reservoir and filters out. How would the change the fluid in the pipes though as its a dead end isn't it? Is pumping it out at the brakes the only way to get new fluid into the far ends of the pipe work?
If so wots the best way to do the back as the suspension needs to be under load for the brakes to work. When I did it last week I removed the wheel and sat the suspension arm on an axle stand so the weight was still on the arm and not on the jack. I then got a mate to press the pedal while I losened the niple while lying accross the back seat to put some load on the suspension (I'm not the smallest person!). Also what height should I have the suspension whilst doing this?

Graham
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yes, the fluid in the brake lines can only be changed by bleedingthe brakes. your method is as good as any! Make sure the car's well supported though.
I presume from what you say that they actually changed the fluid as well as cleaning the filters?
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Yes. They had the tank out to clean so they must have changed the fluid unless they put the old stuff back in.

Did a good session of airobics this afternoon and it felt and sounded much better when I went for a drive so maybe there was just some air in the system somewhere.

Got two weeks off work now so may get round to giving it some more tlc, the height corrrectors and front struts need greasing up and I may get it on the father in laws ramps and look at the ride height