Xantia Heater?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham593192

Xantia Heater?

Post by graham593192 »

Hi guys.
Your advice please.
Is my heater packing in?
In the last week I have been having problems with my windscreen steaming up when i drive. Its ok for about a mile and then it starts to steam up.
I usually drive around with the fan on speed 1, and this gives me a nice supply of fresh air and keeps the window clear, but i'm having to put it up to full blast to clear the screen and even then it takes ages and as soon as I turn the fan down again it starts steaming up again. The back window is doing the same so I'm having to keep the heater on continuously.
I cleaned my seats about three weeks ago but I'm pretty sure they are dry as its only just started steaming up and also if they are still damp the car would be steamed up all the time and smell damp.
I went through the car wash on monday and it seems to have started since then. I did check all the windows and sun roof were shut!!
I'v parked the car in the sun at work today and yesterday, with the sun roof and front windows open a bit to try and get some fresh air through it but it still does the same after about a mile.

Help please

Graham

Ps - its a 1.8 16v without air con or climate control
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Check the water drains under the windscreen scuttle. The Xantia design is reknown to clogg here and stuff the car with water.

If its your heater leaking - it will have the characteristic soursweet coolant fluid smell.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Thanks
I did think the heater can't be leaking as i couldn't smell coolant/antifreeze.
By the windscreen scuttle do you mean plastic bit in the gap between the bottom of the screen and the bonnet where the wiper arms are?

Graham
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Ok cleaned out what I think is the windscreen scuttle (under the platic trim at the bottom of screen. Poured water on the screen at each side and it drained straight out of the bottom of the car so assume all is ok there.

At the same time I was doing some airobics to get the suspension moving nicely and noticed when the engine got upto temperature that there was a small bit of steam coming from around the radiator, but only just enough to be able to see it. Obviously there is a tiny hole in it some where. It can't be that small though as the coolant doesn't look to have dropped.

I was wondering where does the fan suck the air in that it blows into the cabin?
If it sucks it from anywhere near the radiator could it be sucking this steam in and blowing it into the car? Remember also that it only steams up after a mile or so when the engine is warm.

I bought some rad weld this afternoon and plan to have radiator out tomorrow and flush it out and then stick the radweld in to see if this solves the problem.

Any other suggestions?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

there are some conributors here who have had unfortunate experiences with radweld. What I can tell you about it is that it has been around for many years (40 to my knowledge - and probably at least twice that time) and probably originates from an age of 3 ft tall thermosyphon unpressurised radiators without water pumps. When compared to modern radiators, heaters etc you could almost walk around inside those systems and therein lies the problem - it may block everything up.

I haven't used any sealer recently and so am not in a position to recommend anything.

I would expect your xantia to pick up ventilation air from the scuttle area below the windscreen. If you still have a seal at the rear of the bonnet i would have thought it unlikely that fumes from the engine would find their way in. In any event you would be smelling anti-freeze.

Your Xantia may have a pollen filter which by now is blocked and possibly waterlogged. There are some posts on here dealing with its replacement - which a search will probably reveal.
jeremy
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

Could be a cracked heater matrix. I had a Golf MK2 years ago. When I got it it used to fill with steam after 5 mins driving (after engine warmed up) The windscreen used to steam up and I had steam coming out of the dashboard in the worst cases. The problem was solved when Volkswagen recalled all MK2 Golfs as the heater matrixes were prone to split! I put rad sealant in and it solved the problem. Don't use radweld though. There is a thread on this forum for a decent sealant, I can't remember it's name but someone will :roll:
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Radweld has its lovers & haters - like any other product for cars.
I have never had problems using Radweld. IMHO those who would never use it after a single try had multiple or terminal cooling system problems in the first place.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Good point Anders. I dug loads of barrs or something out of a Mini engine a few years ago but I had it partially stripped at the time and was cleaning it up before fitting and to be honest I don't think this was a real problem but had been used in a vain attempt to solve some other problem on an old car.

I used barrs on my XJ6 (aircon) when the heater core started to leak and there were no problems there - indeed Jaguar recommended that Barrs be used from new - probably as some of the numerous alloy castings (originally beautifully polished in the 50's) were prone to being porous. I also used it in my Renault 21 when the matrix went without any problems but that thing was perfectly happy running without oil or water and indeed had a habit of dumping its cooling water at the slightest excuse.

Forte seems to be the current favorite - but I have never tried it.
jeremy
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Obvious point, but, you haven't got Recirculated Air selected, have you?

Jamie
My other car is a motorbike: Honda VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] 800 Fi
Current car: C5 Petrol 2.0 Exclusive Auto SE
Past cars: Xantia 2.0 Exclusive, Xantia SX, BX 19 GTi (possibly the best car I've ever owned), Visa GT etc etc
Oh, and my son's the proud owner of a Saxo VTR!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The heater intake is on the passenger side,just below the windscreen.What can happen,like on mine & others,is that the sealer holding the panel can come unstuck.Water will then drip down into the heater intake & leak into the car.Usally behind & under the passenger footwell carpet.On mine,it usally makes it way through to the heater motor unit/pollen filter(dont know if non a/c cars have a p filter),hence the car misting up.Try pulling the passenger footwell carpet back & seeing if its wet.There is a thick(1 inch or more)foam backing to the carpet meaning it acts as a nice big sponge :( .
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Also,try cleaning the windows with a good glass cleaner.Makes a hell of a difference to misting.My wifes Astra misted up very badly when we got it last month,but 10 mins with the Autoglym glass polish has stoped it misting up. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The Forte stuff claims on the bottle it will not block matrices or other small orifices - it's supposed to use some different kind of sealing matter than 'traditional' rad weld. It's also 'kin expensive! Pretty bluw colour though...

I am just beginning a long term test of Forte, as the matrix on my Xantia has started leaking :cry: It was successful in my last one for at least 15k miles, and I might keep the current one another 18 months / 35k miles, so we shall see.

I'm not all that hopeful it will seal this time though, as it seems to have come on pretty fast - only a couple of k miles from first whiff to wet on the bottom of the dash :cry: Hopefully it will at least get me to some warmer weather and longer days if I DO have to take the dash out!
Richard W
Gabriel

Xantia Heater

Post by Gabriel »

Hi Guys

My heater smells of coolant or burning rubber, what do I need to look at, it was that bad I thought the exaust was blocked
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Yesterday I had the radiator out and flushed the whole system out an filled it twice (don't ask!!) I put a bottle of radweld in when I refilled the system and it seams to have cured the steaming up problem.
I pulled the carpet back in the passenger footwell and it was as dry as a bone. However if I stick my hand up around the air ducting there is evidence of a slight bit of dampness up there which smells of coolant. I've stuck a rag up there incase it leaks anymore to stop it drenching the carpet. Done about 70 miles today and had no problems with the windows steaming up.
There is a slight smell of coolant when I first put the heat upto full but it's done this since I got the car so not stressing about this to much.
Discovered a pin size hole in the radiator though which will need replacing at some point if the radweld does't bung it up!

Where is the coolant level sensor and fan switch as they weren't on the radiator as I was expecting them to be after doing similar jobs on other cars.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Don't know about coolant level sensors, but the fan switch will be on the thermostat housing.
More complications if the car has air conditioning and 'Bitron' fan control.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389